Illinois...

When my hen is sitting on eggs I only candle once around Day 7-10 so that I can toss out any eggs that are not growing. This way the hen doesn't have to sit needlessly in case all eggs are bad.

I should have done that. I think I have another hen going broody, so I might try it again.
smile.png

We candled one 7, 14, and 18 with our first four broodies this spring all are exceptionally tame and only one ever pecked us and she didn't put much effort into it. That being said before we separated her hell hath no fury like she did when another hen came close to her. Lol before separating her we never found a single egg that wasn't hers in her nest BC they were all terrified of her. Lol

We did have some exceptionally cold nights and one night(before separating the broodies from the main flock) that one of our girls got on the wrong nest BC hers was occupied when she got done eating. After laying the other hen got off and the eggs went cold. I was so sure they would have died but none did. They were two days late however.

We candled one 7, 14, and 18 with our first four broodies this spring all are exceptionally tame and only one ever pecked us and she didn't put much effort into it. That being said before we separated her hell hath no fury like she did when another hen came close to her. Lol before separating her we never found a single egg that wasn't hers in her nest BC they were all terrified of her. Lol

We did have some exceptionally cold nights and one night(before separating the broodies from the main flock) that one of our girls got on the wrong nest BC hers was occupied when she got done eating. After laying the other hen got off and the eggs went cold. I was so sure they would have died but none did. They were two days late however.
were there more pullets than roos? This article says the roos are more sensitive to the cold during incubation. I am wondering if that is true
http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/AR9600664.htm

On broody hens I now give them incubator hatched chicks . Just put them in the nest and cover the front with wire or pegboard . Let them out the next morning and they are bonded . Cuts down on broody hen troubles like quitting when moved or breaking or kicking out of the nest . I put one and chicks into a rabbit hutch today .

Quote: I do the same as Junibutt but sometimes will candle at day 17 if I have reason to think some need to be pulled (like questionable ones at first candle or hen off the nest and returning to wrong nest). I don't want them sitting on eggs that won't hatch.

If I had a really good incubator that didn't need constant attention, putting incubator chicks under the hens would be an option like @jerryse does.

For the last few days my nest boxes have been taken over by broody want-to-be's. First Cookie started her broody scream about 4-5 days ago. I never take it seriously until she insists on hatching imaginary eggs & spends several nights in a row in the nest. (She can go broody every 2 months, so that's just normal for her.) Two days ago Trouble joined the broody chorus. You have to remember that this tiny bantam can incubate only 1 egg at best, so I've been having a good laugh every time I go out to collect eggs. There in the nest, I see my bitty sebright (almost as small as a serama) sitting on a giant 3oz+ egg. I remove the egg EVERY TIME, but a few hours later she replaces it with another giant egg she found. Yes this little girl "thinks" she rules the coop.

were there more pullets than roos? This article says the roos are more sensitive to the cold during incubation. I am wondering if that is true http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/AR9600664.htm
Most of them have gone to their new homes already but I am in contact with all the families and getting updates. They are still too young to sex yet but that is an interesting theory that I haven't heard before.
For the last few days my nest boxes have been taken over by broody want-to-be's. First Cookie started her broody scream about 4-5 days ago. I never take it seriously until she insists on hatching imaginary eggs & spends several nights in a row in the nest. (She can go broody every 2 months, so that's just normal for her.) Two days ago Trouble joined the broody chorus. You have to remember that this tiny bantam can incubate only 1 egg at best, so I've been having a good laugh every time I go out to collect eggs. There in the nest, I see my bitty sebright (almost as small as a serama) sitting on a giant 3oz+ egg. I remove the egg EVERY TIME, but a few hours later she replaces it with another giant egg she found. Yes this little girl "thinks" she rules the coop.
You would be surprised. I don't know how large our eggs are but our sebright Lacey has been trying to go broody but I'm not sure she is completely committed yet. I have found her with up to 11 eggs under her and only two were bantam eggs! Believe it or not none of these eggs were actually sticking out from under her. You would be amazed what they can cover, I know I was. When she commits I will probably give her three or four eggs.

If I had some, I would run her over a couple of bantam eggs, but all of mine are broody and sitting. She is pretty.

I'm surprised she hasn't tried to take over & mother my 6 wk old chicks yet. (They're were about equal in size a week ago!)

Cookie is a bantam orp but she at least has a lot of fluff to make her broody spread look big. She can fit 7-8 LF eggs under her. Trouble just looks like a silly chicken trying to incubate an ostrich egg. When she's fluffed & flattened, she covers only about 1/3 the nesting box.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom