Illinois...

DS wanted to bring in a good pic of "his" chicken for Show & Tell tomorrow.
Here's the one we made:
(Her shark-fin comb came from a former injury. It sort of fits her rough/tough personality, so it's not all bad. I'm sure I'll be sharing the many adventures of Chizzy in future posts.)
chizzy-2-copy-jpg.1164545

Of course while trying to take a nice hen portrait there are always some strange poses.
Look! A Tap dancing chicken!
tap-dance-jpg.1164550

Seeing your tap dancing chicken just brought up a looooooooong ago memory. Way back in time when DW would go to Wisconsin Dells with her parents, they had dancing chickens. This is how it worked. Chicken was inside a box/cage with glass windows on at least 3 sides. There was a coin slot for quarters. Children would shout out to their parents "mommy,, mommy,, mommy,,,,,,,,,,,, can I have another quarter" :lau
When money was inserted, music would start to play. In no time, chicken would start to dance. Fast forward to when we are adults.... and we found out how it was done. The floor where chicken was standing on was an electric hot plate. When music stopped, electric heat stopped and dancing stopped. My assumption is.... that activity with chickens came to a halt when peeps found out how it was done. Well,,,, so much for those wonderful 60's.
@Faraday40 I know your chicken is not standing on a hot plate. :lau
What is really funny now, is when DW and I are in a store appliance section. We pass by the food warmer section, and I just cant hold myself back. "Honey.............. look..... chicken dance floors":lau

Seeing your tap dancing chicken just brought up a looooooooong ago memory. Way back in time when DW would go to Wisconsin Dells with her parents, they had dancing chickens. This is how it worked. Chicken was inside a box/cage with glass windows on at least 3 sides. There was a coin slot for quarters. Children would shout out to their parents "mommy,, mommy,, mommy,,,,,,,,,,,, can I have another quarter" :lau
When money was inserted, music would start to play. In no time, chicken would start to dance. Fast forward to when we are adults.... and we found out how it was done. The floor where chicken was standing on was an electric hot plate. When music stopped, electric heat stopped and dancing stopped. My assumption is.... that activity with chickens came to a halt when peeps found out how it was done. Well,,,, so much for those wonderful 60's.
What is really funny now, is when DW and I are in a store appliance section. We pass by the food warmer section, and I just cant hold myself back. "Honey.............. look..... chicken dance floors":lau

ack!!! I wondered what made the chicken dance... different times for sure... used to think livestock were treated better then, nope! not all anyway

Poor hens!!!!
I never knew that. DD trains hers the hard way - with treat reinforcement! Chickens can do a lot of things for treats.

"What is really funny now, is when DW and I are in a store appliance section. We pass by the food warmer section, and I just cant hold myself back. "Honey.............. look..... chicken dance floors"
LOL!!! Now I'll remember to never to buy a used food warmer. Who knows how many chickens have danced on it!
:lau

Hey I was trying to remember and get info for someone who wants English lavender orpingtons chicks this spring I got mine from a lady and her kids in westmont il and 18quail chicks from their 4h progam I got a lavender and black orphington Easter egger mix
Were bought June 25th

Hey I was trying to remember and get info for someone who wants English lavender orpingtons chicks this spring I got mine from a lady and her kids in westmont il and 18quail chicks from their 4h progam I got a lavender and black orphington Easter egger mix
Were bought June 25th
:thumbsup
Yes. I'm probably that lady.

The kids & I were hatching a lot of chicks in the local schools & also for DD's 4H poultry sci project. DD ended up winning Best in Show at the DuPage Fair & went on to win all the highest at the IL State Fair as well. (Proud mommy here.)

IMG_3445.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG IMG_3458.JPG IMG_3461.JPG
IMG_3917 copy.jpg

Our son is still in Cloverbuds & so ready to move up. He already does his own creative projects at home by building his crazy inventions, home-made rockets/boats/planes, computer programming and circuits in addition to caring for his pet chickens. The boy is scary smart. This week he's learning about probability & applying it to chicken genetics. Last week he made a Rube Goldberg-like automatic chicken waterer in the backyard. It worked too! Did I mention that he's only 7?

I love to see pics of our chickens all grown up. Feel free to post as many as you like!
:love

Back
Top Bottom