Illinois...

Is there anyone in the Central Illinois area that have some spare chicks? The Tractor Supply Stores around here are done with them for the year, apparently. I wanted to get 4 future egg layers. Had plans all ready to start building a coop and everything!
Check some of the other stores like Farm and Fleet. Rural King. Not sure where you are at in central Ill. Another option is to check out Craig's list. There are plenty of chickens available, but of course that varies by area.
WISHING YOU BEST AND,,,,,,, welcome here and :welcome

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/zip/d/mini-kids-house/6575444756.html

Just saw this free coop on Craigslist. Of course they're calling it a "play house"
Darn I missed it!
We're looking for a small coop to hold DD's silkies & OEG. (Paranoid about hawks eating them, so we want a mini coop - like a prefab that only holds 3-4 chickens)

Of course the hens think we should use the dog house. It's not like he ever goes into it!
IMG_8614.JPG

Blue orp pullet hatched 3-4-18. She's much bigger than her silkie mama - who still tries to cover her at night.
img_8623-jpg.1367758

My blk/lav cockerel. (5 mo old today) I love those shiny feathers! He just started crowing and mating the hens. (He gets beat up for his advances, of course.) Yesterday he grabbed a whole slice of bread & ran off with it. He was vocally tidbitting but also gobbling the bread as quickly as possible. Yes, my boys learn how to call the girls over long before they learn how to share!
:smack
img_8632-jpg.1367759

Cock-a-doodle! No denying he's male now!
5 wks old (Not actually crowing yet)
img_8643-jpg.1368222

My other serama (Noodle) still looks female.
img_8661-jpg.1368223

Here are last year's chicks - now hens.
Jewel - my blue orp
Wendy the Welsummer
Chizy - DS's "special sussex"

(The CCL is 2+ yrs old and not part of that group. She came from @MeepBeep's eggs. Sadly I haven't heard from him for over a year, so I can't share her beauty. )
img_8664-jpg.1368224

Cock-a-doodle! No denying he's male now!
5 wks old (Not actually crowing yet)
img_8643-jpg.1368222

My other serama (Noodle) still looks female.
img_8661-jpg.1368223

Here are last year's chicks - now hens.
Jewel - my blue orp
Wendy the Welsummer
Chizy - DS's "special sussex"

(The CCL is 2+ yrs old and not part of that group. She came from @MeepBeep's eggs. Sadly I haven't heard from him for over a year, so I can't share her beauty. )
img_8664-jpg.1368224

Yep the legbars are 2 this year.

Chicks hatching!!!!!!! 6 out. At least 2 are laced!!! 2 ? laced. More pips and zipping. I'll try to get some pics but too busy now. Just wanted to check in & say :frow

I'm teaching in 4 schools this week. 3 about chickens (easy) & one tomorrow about stars & our solar system. Lots of prep. Then DH discovers that he has a 101'F temp. Had to drop everything & get him some meds.

Chickies chickies chickies!!!!

I lost another of my little silkies again one we purchased not a bonus chick. No signs of anything wrong and only 2 weeks old. Just dead overnight. I'm feeling discouraged.

I've bought chicks through this feed store using the same hatchery for years. I've only ever lost one of their chicks now this time I've lost 4 :( why'd it have to be my silkies. I may wait to be able to sex these chicks to get more...

Then again my farm and fleet is getting their last order of the year tomorrow and I'm so wanting to go to see what they get in. They're supposed to be getting silkies and obviously they won't have had to go through a blizzard this time.

Ugh... I'm feeling very very torn. Hmm.

Okay I should probably skip it(lol I totally just subconsciously typed go there)

Any advice guys?

Back
Top Bottom