Illinois...

Was doing routine cleaning, and feeding in chicken housing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and this is what I found:old
IMG_20200108_175749234_HDR.jpg

A hidden nest in the eves of the loft. ALL those are from my USEFUL :love Seramas I got from @Faraday40 in the summer:thumbsup.. Found another nest next to this one with another 8. Those are pretty old, since they are light, and dried out. The batch in the pix are all sinkers,,, so probably still good,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT I'M GOING TO BOIL THEM AND FEED BACK TO THE GIRLS.(hens):gig I will break each one individually to make sure it looks good. If questionable, I will just toss:old
Also got 2 regular eggs from my Polish gals. Wonder if they are trying to pay me back for the haircuts they got:idunno,, They look really cute. Need to take some pix next time.
Before they looked similar to this; Every time they drank water, they would mop up a large amount, and it spilled all over.
punk hair1.PNG
Now they look similar to this; When they drink,,,, it is same as the rest of the flock. nice and neat.
punk hair.PNG
Both chicken no longer have tunnel vision.:celebrate

Was doing routine cleaning, and feeding in chicken housing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and this is what I found:old
View attachment 1997755
A hidden nest in the eves of the loft. ALL those are from my USEFUL :love Seramas I got from @Faraday40 in the summer:thumbsup.. Found another nest next to this one with another 8. Those are pretty old, since they are light, and dried out. The batch in the pix are all sinkers,,, so probably still good,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT I'M GOING TO BOIL THEM AND FEED BACK TO THE GIRLS.(hens):gig I will break each one individually to make sure it looks good. If questionable, I will just toss:old
Also got 2 regular eggs from my Polish gals. Wonder if they are trying to pay me back for the haircuts they got:idunno,, They look really cute. Need to take some pix next time.
Before they looked similar to this; Every time they drank water, they would mop up a large amount, and it spilled all over.
View attachment 1997779
Now they look similar to this; When they drink,,,, it is same as the rest of the flock. nice and neat.
View attachment 1997780
Both chicken no longer have tunnel vision.:celebrate
:gig
Surprised no one went broody on those

I see hawks all the time; at least 1 or 2 every week, and I'm not even looking for them. Fortunately we don't notice then around the yard very often. Most of my sightings are along route 59 as well route 126, both of which I travel daily.
I have red tails that usually are around most days. They usually hunt the fields, but migrate and young and lots of snow they go after the chickens

My first egg. I only have 2 hens. Not sure who is the culprit. She laid it on the ground of the run. They have a two room coop but don't seem to like the back room which of course is where the nests are.
Was hoping they wouldn't start ro lay until February or at least not until their medicated food was gone. Oh well, will switch them over and wait a few weeks before I start keeping the eggs.
Excited though to get my first one, yay
Btw, it's pretty heavy.
20200110_165431.jpg

They have a two room coop but don't seem to like the back room which of course is where the nests are.
These newer gals can surely be frustrating on this issue. I have about 8 new pullets that are at various stages of beginning lay. I find about 6 eggs in the boxes from the mature hens, 2 or 3 on the floor and a few under in coop in the mulch or mud. It's a daily egg hunt around here. Of course they are not as clean as I like as I don't wash mine, I let them sit out. I wouldn't have enough fridge space if all hens were in full production!

Was hoping they wouldn't start ro lay until February or at least not until their medicated food was gone. Oh well, will switch them over and wait a few weeks before I start keeping the eggs.

I would just go ahead and finish the bag of feed unless you are planning on raising any chicks this spring. There are several articles as well as threads on byc about eating eggs from hens eating chick starter. The medicine isn't an antibiotic but a thiamine blocker which prevents coccidiosis. I'd go ahead and enjoy your new eggs. :)

These newer gals can surely be frustrating on this issue. I have about 8 new pullets that are at various stages of beginning lay. I find about 6 eggs in the boxes from the mature hens, 2 or 3 on the floor and a few under in coop in the mulch or mud. It's a daily egg hunt around here. Of course they are not as clean as I like as I don't wash mine, I let them sit out. I wouldn't have enough fridge space if all hens were in full production!

I would just go ahead and finish the bag of feed unless you are planning on raising any chicks this spring. There are several articles as well as threads on byc about eating eggs from hens eating chick starter. The medicine isn't an antibiotic but a thiamine blocker which prevents coccidiosis. I'd go ahead and enjoy your new eggs. :)

Yeah I wasnt happy with the smaller first coop so I added on. This way if I ever had to keep them locked in for a day or 2 they would have plenty of room and giving me room to have food and water in with them. Well, it worked, kinda. All the room is there, they just won't use it all, ugh.
This spring I'm redoing it and getting a shed to use. Should have done that from the beginning.
I dont plan on hatching, no rooster. There isnt much chick food left, so I might just finish it up. Thanks.

Look who's 11 weeks old!
IMG_1836 (2).JPG
IMG_1834 (2).JPG

She still lives in a storage tote by herself & is afraid of other chickens. Her nickname is Solo. She may go to live in a friend's house for a while.(chick-sitting) I was thinking about letting my silkie hatch some chick friends for her, but there's a lot going on here.

Shes such a cutie! If plans fall through for her being chick-sat, you know you can always count on me to chick-sit.;)
Thanks
She's the sweetest little thing and loves to sit on my finger like a parakeet.
Biggest problem: She's afraid of birds. :barnie I swear she wants to live in a 1 bird household. So that's where she'll go for a while. I figure they can enjoy her until I figure out a way to introduce her.

Back
Top Bottom