Illinois...

Day 6:
I can't really tell anything with most of the quail eggs I candled. However, the next day after the eggs were set, a quail laid an egg w/o spots. (I put it into the incubator, of course.) I can see development in that one.
View attachment 2079665View attachment 2079666

I only candled 2 turkey eggs. I didn't expect to see anything, but I can see a bit of shadow and veins in both.
View attachment 2079671

The adult quail have learned how to eat from the feeder and drink using water nipples.
They stopped laying, breeding, and crowing. I hope they settle in and start laying again. I also want to hear the little male's crow.

Speaking of crowing, my 2 cockerels flipped the lid off of their rooster box last night. They must have been "free range" in the garage all night. This morning I heard A LOT of faint crowing, and it's very unlike them to make so much noise. The boys were strutting, crowing, & pooping all over the place. I wasn't very happy when I discovered the little party they were having.

I got to enjoy some of the nice weather this afternoon. I also got to enjoy the lightening show this evening.

View attachment 2079694View attachment 2079696
Alien green is typically a bad sign. Yellow is still good.

Day 6:
I can't really tell anything with most of the quail eggs I candled. However, the next day after the eggs were set, a quail laid an egg w/o spots. (I put it into the incubator, of course.) I can see development in that one.
View attachment 2079665View attachment 2079666

I only candled 2 turkey eggs. I didn't expect to see anything, but I can see a bit of shadow and veins in both.
View attachment 2079671

The adult quail have learned how to eat from the feeder and drink using water nipples.
They stopped laying, breeding, and crowing. I hope they settle in and start laying again. I also want to hear the little male's crow.

Speaking of crowing, my 2 cockerels flipped the lid off of their rooster box last night. They must have been "free range" in the garage all night. This morning I heard A LOT of faint crowing, and it's very unlike them to make so much noise. The boys were strutting, crowing, & pooping all over the place. I wasn't very happy when I discovered the little party they were having.

I got to enjoy some of the nice weather this afternoon. I also got to enjoy the lightening show this evening.

View attachment 2079694View attachment 2079696

Glad the eggs are developing

Stag party :gig

I could see the lightning but I just got a sprinkle last night

Beautiful weather today! I had 3 virtual meetings spread throughout the day though of course. I spent my lunch and the last few hours this evening out in the garden breaking up dirt and filling garden beds. I have a lot more dirt to break up and move, so hoping this wet and cold weather wet have coming in a few days doesn't stick around too long. I hope to get potatoes, cabbage and kale in the ground very soon followed but all sorts of veggies come the first week of May.
I have been planting onions. 150 in and 100 to go. My back complains after 50. Takes forever to get anything done.
I planted some spinach a week ago. It hasn't come up yet.

Uh oh.
Someone won an eBay auction for eggs. :frow
Completely unexpected, but they're already on their way. My question is: How peeved should I be at the seller? I requested hold at post office and they never paid attention to my instructions, just shipped them out to my home address. I could intercept but looking at the price isn't making me happy.
Should I just sing 'let it go'?

Uh oh.
Someone won an eBay auction for eggs. :frow
Completely unexpected, but they're already on their way. My question is: How peeved should I be at the seller? I requested hold at post office and they never paid attention to my instructions, just shipped them out to my home address. I could intercept but looking at the price isn't making me happy.
Should I just sing 'let it go'?

Congratulations on the auction. Sending good hatching vibes your way!
What kind of eggs did you win? Are you still buying chicks from the farm you mentioned earlier?

I've had a few sellers write my ph# & hold for pick up on the box. It has never worked. NOT EVEN ONCE. I think the packages are scanned automatically, so even if your seller wrote it on the box, it may not matter.

I asked our post office about it and supposedly they "don't do that." I basically watch the tracking online. (I feel like a stalker as I check the status several times a day.) As soon as it reads "out for delivery" I start calling the post office to let them know. Sometimes the PO will call the truck and have them drop it off ASAP, but it mostly depends who answers the phone. If our regular mail carrier is working, I just let her know that I'm expecting eggs and she'll drop them off 1st before starting her rounds..... or do the route in reverse so we get delivery in the morning instead of late afternoon. (She's amazing but our route is regularly used for training, so we get all sorts carriers.)

Congratulations on the auction. Sending good hatching vibes your way!
What kind of eggs did you win? Are you still buying chicks from the farm you mentioned earlier?

I've had a few sellers write my ph# & hold for pick up on the box. It has never worked. NOT EVEN ONCE. I think the packages are scanned automatically, so even if your seller wrote it on the box, it may not matter.

I asked our post office about it and supposedly they "don't do that." I basically watch the tracking online. (I feel like a stalker as I check the status several times a day.) As soon as it reads "out for delivery" I start calling the post office to let them know. Sometimes the PO will call the truck and have them drop it off ASAP, but it mostly depends who answers the phone. If our regular mail carrier is working, I just let her know that I'm expecting eggs and she'll drop them off 1st before starting her rounds..... or do the route in reverse so we get delivery in the morning instead of late afternoon. (She's amazing but our route is regularly used for training, so we get all sorts carriers.)
Bantam cochins, and yes I'm still getting chicks too. I'm going to be down two chickens soon, the older non-layers are on their way out. One sounds like she has respiratory issues, the other ascites. That justifies a mess more chicks, right?

I've decided I'm being a little hysterical about delivery. This poor person has such good feedback on their eggs, I suppose things happen and they got the freshest eggs out as fast as possible. I ran into our mail guy and asked if he would hold the package at the post office tomorrow, so we all may be good. Not sure how I'll survive any of this, I went down to check the incubator and found it was ice cold. eventually I discovered I'd plugged it into an outlet that's controlled by the light switch. Thank God I figured that out now.
Hygrometer is calibrated, I'm going to calibrate my other thermometer today, hopefully chicks tomorrow. I still don't understand why one of the girls just couldn't cooperate and turn broody. What am I feeding them for anyway? Original plan was to order eggs as soon as I had a broody hen, but no, I had to get these special chicks now.

Back
Top Bottom