Illinois...

So my silkies didn't make it.

My dog chewed up the box they were using a brooder and well... I'm not sure what the heck happened. Maybe they died of freight or a draft. They didn't have any marks on them and the only reason I know the dog got at the brooder was the dog sized hole in the wall. A neighbor asked if I wanted his 3 Buff Orpingtons chicks (~16 days old) and I said yes, but I don't really want to go out in this crazyness to get a new brooder box, besides the store I went to last time has been boarded up and has a contingent of cops surrounding it.

Question for the group can I use a large Rubbermaid bin and some hardware as a brooder?
- like this guy

Any Suggestions?

I put up a gate to the basement so the dog is not going to bother them. He is dropping them off tonight or tomorrow So I don't have much time on this.

My dog chewed up the box they were using a brooder and well... I'm not sure what the heck happened. Maybe they died of freight or a draft. They didn't have any marks on them and the only reason I know the dog got at the brooder was the dog sized hole in the wall. A neighbor asked if I wanted his 3 Buff Orpingtons chicks (~16 days old) and I said yes, but I don't really want to go out in this crazyness to get a new brooder box, besides the store I went to last time has been boarded up and has a contingent of cops surrounding it.

Question for the group can I use a large Rubbermaid bin and some hardware as a brooder?
- like this guy

Any Suggestions?

I put up a gate to the basement so the dog is not going to bother them. He is dropping them off tonight or tomorrow So I don't have much time on this.
It's what I used. But I dont have a dog to chew through. It will probably work till 4 or 5 weeks if it's just a few chicks. I'm waiting for a batch of meat birds and garbage picked an old shelf that works perfectly. And when I'm done I can throw it away.
20200530_161532.jpg

- like this guy

Any Suggestions?

Anything can be used as a brooder.
Years ago my DD made a brooder using her old sci fair & 4H posters and duct tape.
:lau
IMG_9821 - Copy.JPG

Yes. I have a few plastic tote brooders (also use them as needed for temp hospital house hens) They're good because they can be hosed off when done.

Instead of a fancy lid, I made a simple wooden frame slightly bigger than my box then stapled hardware cloth to it. I put this over the top instead of a lid.

(BTW- My quail and lonely only serama are using it now.)
IMG_3775.JPG

I also put S-hooks to hang feeder & water.
IMG_3774.JPG

If you're really short on time, just bend a piece of garden fence. This would probably not hold up against a dog, but can be cut and bent in under 5 min.
IMG_3782.JPG

I decided to give this a try.

- like this guy

Any Suggestions?

I use a large tote, larger than the one shown in the picture and it has wheels on one side. I got it at Meijer, not very expensive. I took my electric hacksaw to the lid and cut a large hole, attached the hardware cloth with zip ties. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow

Thanks. I (wife) tried calling to ask and went through all departments and after 20 minutes nobody answered.

Love the turkeys. It's time to thin out my lillies so say the word. They are summer blooms. Some irises below
View attachment 2169810
Can spare some irises that smell like grape soda.
View attachment 2169818

I also have orange tiger lilies multiplying. Moles keep eating my hostas so they aren't abundant.
@WhyDoILikeChickens You are close to me, so if you decide to thin them out please let me know.

@NotAFarm I'm not sure exactly where you are located, I would take some from you though too if you are in a reasonable commute. In addition to the driveway, I have a ~30ft flower bed in the yard I need to redo and another ~30ft flower bed on the west side of the house that I'm working on cleaning up - it's all overgrown shrubs and no flowers to fill it in.

@BReeder! Supposed to be more gatherings at the mall tonight. Too close for comfort.
Last night was concerning. I'm halfway between Naperville and Joliet and there's been rioting in both of those suburbs now. Our house is in one of the closest subdivisions to downtown Plainfield. I don't own a gun, but I've got a crowbar tucked in the backseat of the SUV and quick access to similar items in the house and garage. It's terrible to have to think about it, but I'm certainly not letting anybody in my house or allowing them to damage my property without one hell of fight if they come this way. Stay safe everybody.

- like this guy

Any Suggestions?

My brooder is very similar to this. It's made from a heavy duty tote I got at Menards (black with yellow lid). I cut the center out the lid and attached hardware cloth. If you have some scraps of wood to can sandwich the lid and hardware cloth between two pieces of wood. I ended up wrapping the edge of the hc with duct tape to cover any sharp edges and then attached it with zip ties through holes (a lot of them...) I drilled in the lid. Wood and screws would have been easier for sure. Be sure to pre-drill the plastic very carefully though.

Last night was concerning. I'm halfway between Naperville and Joliet and there's been rioting in both of those suburbs now. Our house is in one of the closest subdivisions to downtown Plainfield. I don't own a gun, but I've got a crowbar tucked in the backseat of the SUV and quick access to similar items in the house and garage. It's terrible to have to think about it, but I'm certainly not letting anybody in my house or allowing them to damage my property without one hell of fight if they come this way. Stay safe everybody.
When my parents were alive, hoards from the city were a concern all their lives. I think it was left over from the 60's race riots. I remember being told to stay out of the pasture and woods just in case then.
Worst thing that ever happened from city was the Joliet police dropped a drunk off in the woods to sober up on his walk back to joliet...he went the wrong way and entered my uncle's house next door. Uncle got him outside with no incident. Uncle was rather ticked at the police, more than the lost drunk

Back
Top Bottom