Illinois...

I do have a pretty black orp rooster with a sweet personality. At the moment, he's being raised by a family and acts more like a puppy dog than rooster. I think he'd make a great addition to someone's flock. They're looking to give him away and seriously I've found some of the best roosters this way. (My orps that were sold & raised by a family, then returned as cockerels. ) They are usually sweet gentle big & beautiful boys who are usually trained & friendly. Any aggressive signs & I would process without hesitation.

If anyone would like a black orp cockerel (not for food), let me know.

@BReeder! You're welcome to take this pretty boy for a drive in your car.

I do have a pretty black orp rooster with a sweet personality. At the moment, he's being raised by a family and acts more like a puppy dog than rooster. I think he'd make a great addition to someone's flock. They're looking to give him away and seriously I've found some of the best roosters this way. (My orps that were sold & raised by a family, then returned as cockerels. ) They are usually sweet gentle big & beautiful boys who are usually trained & friendly. Any aggressive signs & I would process without hesitation.

If anyone would like a black orp cockerel (not for food), let me know.

@BReeder! You're welcome to take this pretty boy for a drive in your car.
I have two roos of my own to choose from for a car ride already... lol.

Uhh... I think I have 2 roos! I was closely inspecting the clock a but ago as we integrated the turkey poults and ducklings into each of their flocks. I realized that the bigger lavender orp is actually the much younger one. :he The bigger one's stature is also more upright. Here's some pics. Take a look @Faraday40.

The lav on the right is the suspected roo.
View attachment 2285972

From the front
View attachment 2285974

From the side
View attachment 2285976

As a bonus, here's some pics of the ducklings enjoying the pond.
View attachment 2285982View attachment 2285984View attachment 2285985
I agree it looks like a boy. He's got a very nice face / comb /wattles.

I got up around 6am today and heard some out of tune crowing again. :( Then I went back to bed of course because there was no need for me to be awake at 6am today.
We haven't been locking the birds in the coop at night lately. I am thinking about doing so though in the hope that the coop (a shed btw) will dampen the noise of the morning crowing. I just need to wait a few weeks until we go to my in-laws. The black roo will be going to them.
@Faraday40 is the lav roo of any interest to you? I don't know as much about chicken anatomy too determine a breeder, but I do like that solid lav color and he seems well built. Not sure you have room nor need for another roo though... If not, perhaps you know somebody interested in lav orps who would take him. DW really doesn't want me to butcher him. She said that if I do it, just do it and don't tell her until it's already done. She had no issues with the ducks we butchered, but she is closer with the chickens.

These roos have me thinking... I hope I don't end up with a drake or tom now. With the two ducks and 3 young turkeys it is still too early for me to tell. At least I know they are being raised for the table eventually. I don't want to put up with fighting drakes though and I doubt my neighbors want to hear a tom's gobble.

I'm starting to become sexist. NO MORE MALES! :gig

These roos have me thinking... I hope I don't end up with a drake or tom now. With the two ducks and 3 young turkeys it is still too early for me to tell. At least I know they are being raised for the table eventually. I don't want to put up with fighting drakes though and I doubt my neighbors want to hear a tom's gobble.

I'm starting to become sexist. NO MORE MALES! :gig
I have 2 Toms (I think) They are bigger & have more "turkey-ness" about them. I'll try to take a recent pic. They're about 3.5 months old. The other one is smaller, shy, and has a bit of fuzz on head. None have made a 'gobble' noise. I do sometimes see the puffy strut and red heads from the boys. The noise they make is a "gump, gump, gump..." when they call out to each other. They do that frequently and all 3 join in the chorus.

The turkeys can be bullies at times. I have seem them chase & peck at my silkies and seramas. They won't be here long term..... maybe another 3 months. Meanwhile, I'm hopeful having larger birds in the yard may deter the smaller hawks.

A few weeks ago I was out in the poultry yard and heard the turkeys sound off and all the chickens and poults ran. The adult turkeys were heading towards a walnut on the edge of the p yard.looking up. A young bald eagle was half way up the tree. It was looking the other way and took off as I went over. They usually sit on the high power towers, but work is being done on the towers. Haven't seen it since.

All day Saturday was processing chickens.
All day Sunday was weigh, bag, and get in freezer.
Sunday 4:30 left for middle of nowhere Mn. To visit sister.
Not even 24 hours after lost power. Just put 120 lbs in freezer.
Take DD to pool and drive 8 hours back home.
9.5 weeks of work, effort, time, money all in question. Have a generator on my truck so I can keep temp around freezing but it takes work. My generator is no meant for residential area (its loud).

All day Saturday was processing chickens.
All day Sunday was weigh, bag, and get in freezer.
Sunday 4:30 left for middle of nowhere Mn. To visit sister.
Not even 24 hours after lost power. Just put 120 lbs in freezer.
Take DD to pool and drive 8 hours back home.
9.5 weeks of work, effort, time, money all in question. Have a generator on my truck so I can keep temp around freezing but it takes work. My generator is no meant for residential area (its loud).
Hope the power comes on soon for you. That's a lot of work and you have to count the effort and cost of growing them out for a couple months.

We were lucky here. Storms came & went. The areas to our east - like Hinsdale & LaGrange had some pretty big trees fall and many power outages.

Back
Top Bottom