Illinois...

But I've seen claims that fermenting can save 50% and I have to rule myth busted.
:thumbsup
I'm with you on the myth buster idea. But peeps are divided on fermented feed more than the Hatfields and McCoys. I simply would not want it, but I have no quarrel with peeps that choose the other option. :highfive:
I have read about the fermented feed opinions by some long time keepers, (here on BYC) and side with those that don't choose it.

:thumbsup
I'm with you on the myth buster idea. But peeps are divided on fermented feed more than the Hatfields and McCoys. I simply would not want it, but I have no quarrel with peeps that choose the other option. :highfive:
I have read about the fermented feed opinions by some long time keepers, (here on BYC) and side with those that don't choose it.
Ha I am often overly opinionated but never dislike someone who simply disagrees with me. I dread little more than a world where everyone agrees with me. Sometimes I adopt opposing view simply out of boredom.
I do believe it more closely resembles a natural diet. A bird will scratch for moist buried grain. More bacteria and natural biome. My birds have always enjoyed it. The smellier the better. Its oatmeal vs dry oats. But sometimes the pelleted or crumble just becomes mud, mix in a 3 grain blend.
Mostly wondering if anyone else had noticable cost savings.

Ha I am often overly opinionated but never dislike someone who simply disagrees with me. I dread little more than a world where everyone agrees with me. Sometimes I adopt opposing view simply out of boredom.
I do believe it more closely resembles a natural diet. A bird will scratch for moist buried grain. More bacteria and natural biome. My birds have always enjoyed it. The smellier the better. Its oatmeal vs dry oats. But sometimes the pelleted or crumble just becomes mud, mix in a 3 grain blend.
Mostly wondering if anyone else had noticable cost savings.
I feed almost 200 lbs a week if dry....150 lbs if fermented. But I also have pasture they get some from. The best part is they use half the water

Do the mega chicken farms utilize fermented feed?? 25% savings would improve bottom line in their profits :idunno
Not that I know of
I think it would be hard to automate filling them. I let them run out of food so they clean the bowls. In the summer the leftover in the bowl gets nasty in 24hrs and they won't eat it.
A lot of the savings is the dust sticks together and doesn't get wasted.

Molpet
Do you think the fermented feed encourages the chickens, and turkeys to graze more in the outdoors???
Not necessarily. It depends on how good the pasture is and what seeds, berries, weeds are ripe. I feed them 2x a day. Sometimes, like in the drought, they are waiting for feed. Other times they are too busy eating bugs or berries and only the teenagers come running when I have a feed bucket.

Not necessarily. It depends on how good the pasture is and what seeds, berries, weeds are ripe. I feed them 2x a day. Sometimes, like in the drought, they are waiting for feed. Other times they are too busy eating bugs or berries and only the teenagers come running when I have a feed bucket.
x2
I used to only feed once a day (and also had full auto feeders) but with the turkeys around all the feed disappears. Now I don't bother with the auto feeder. I feed morning and again at dusk (to get everyone inside the run).

As far as the free range, it varies a lot. It really scared me when I found a lot of red in their droppings. I thought I had a severe case of cocci or several cases of cancer or other fatal disease. Then I remembered I threw a bunch of split tomatoes over the garden fence to them. This past week, they have been nibbling on all the tomatoes & squash that grow beyond the garden fence boundary. I guess it's my own fault for teaching the turkeys how yummy red tomatoes are.

Back
Top Bottom