Illinois...

Is Stix a game breed?
Yes. Modern game bantam.
They come in diff colors but very, very hard to find. Also more difficult to incubate (like seramas). They are very sensitive to cold (hard feathering), have low egg production, are more delicate because of their legs, and lifespan of only 4-8 years. (Some strains only live for 2-3yrs.) I was attracted to the long legs and now adore their curious personalities.

Yes. Modern game bantam.
They come in diff colors but very, very hard to find. Also more difficult to incubate (like seramas). They are very sensitive to cold (hard feathering), have low egg production, are more delicate because of their legs, and lifespan of only 4-8 years. (Some strains only live for 2-3yrs.) I was attracted to the long legs and now adore their curious personalities.
So great legs but high maintenance. It wouldn't be the first time I was tempted by that. Unless it's just for a night, I'll pass. :lau

Would anyone here (Chicago suburbs) be interested in some Leghorn chicks around May5th? I have an opportunity to purchase some inexpensive eggs via U of I. From a hatch three years ago we kept Tillie. Although I never really cared for Leghorns, she turned out to be a fun, silly bird who laid for more than 360 days straight. No days off. Loved having eggs in winter, so the next year, we kept Millie. It's nice to get 10-14 eggs per week in December -just from those 2 hens! Hey, I need some chickens to actually work to support the flock.

Normally by now I have some classrooms lined up for spring hatching, but with Covid no one is planning ahead. I'm debating if I should place an order or skip the leghorns this year. Min order is 2 doz eggs.

So, is anyone considering adding Leghorns this spring?

Got that opposum! And the sucker ate a whole duck leg with foot still attached that I used as bait.
20210115_120844.jpg

I called Will County Animal Control. They will not take it. They said to call local non- emergency police number. Local police said it's out of their bounds and to contact a private animal control outfit. They also said I should get a free permit from the IL Department of Wildlife (I believe that was it) if I wanted to trapping wildlife on my property (I didn't disclose that it's already trapped).
I tried to choose life over death, but it's apparently very difficult to relocate an animal. :rant
From now on, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and do what needs to be done.

Got that opposum! And the sucker ate a whole duck leg with foot still attached that I used as bait.
View attachment 2490697

I called Will County Animal Control. They will not take it. They said to call local non- emergency police number. Local police said it's out of their bounds and to contact a private animal control outfit. They also said I should get a free permit from the IL Department of Wildlife (I believe that was it) if I wanted to trapping wildlife on my property (I didn't disclose that it's already trapped).
I tried to choose life over death, but it's apparently very difficult to relocate an animal. :rant
There's a saying about the 3 "S"s
Shoot, Shovel, .........Shut up.

View attachment 2490697

I tried to choGose life over death, but it's apparently very difficult to relocate an animal. :rant
Neighbor had coons in his wall coming in under the deck. He hired a trapper. $150 per animal

There's a saying about the 3 "S"s
Shoot, Shovel, .........Shut up.
Our neighborhood had a similar situation last year with a dying raccoon. It was confused & wandering around between 3 -4 properties. It would have a seizure, pass out, wake up, and repeat. Due to the number of curious children around, we were concerned. Our neighbors asked if we would make the call. The nonemergency police sent an officer here, but he said there was nothing he could do. Same story with animal control. The raccoon was on "private property" so all they could do was tell us to call a licensed exterminator. They did say that it was probably distemper. There's a wildlife rescue/rehab that takes injured animals, but there was no way any of us were going to attempt to catch a sick, angry, confused raccoon and attempt to transport it. It was so weak, we thought it would be dead in less than hour. Since I can butcher a chicken, I think the neighbors were hoping I'd be able to kill it for them. If I knew how to do it safety, I would have.

Literally, it was a neighborhood watch. Whenever we walked outside, a neighbor would point and let us know where the animal was. By afternoon, the raccoon no longer had the strength to move beyond one property, but remained unpredictable. Unconscious, aggressive stance, or stumbling in circles. About 24 hours after the initial discovery, it finally passed. My husband helped the neighbor burry it.

Back
Top Bottom