Illinois...

Well apparently chickens get more than stick tight ticks.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/chicagolandbackyardchickens/permalink/3112838345610682/
Screenshot_20210301-211927.png

Could it possibly have been this.

Honestly its possible. I am a firm believer in spiritual battle. I'm talking screwtape letters. I am a mechanic and a few of my customers I say are haunted (tongue in cheek) . Everything there goes wrong all the time at these locations. At the peak of my frustration I was startled several times when I would look around and see the shadow of a tall figure standing at the end of the truck giving me problems. Always a few locations always between 12am and 3am. Eventually as things would go wrong I'd just look and say "its you again ". Then I started to pray as things went absurdly wrong and I haven't seen him in a couple years. Also I wont go there after midnight anymore lol.

My front lawn has NO SNOW! :ya
My backyard still has snow, but it's receding steadily. The house faces south and blocks much of the sun this time of year. The garden fence acted like a measuring stick as I watched new rows of fence wire and boards get exposed as the height of the snow went down. Now, the snow is melted all the way down at the fence. I think the fencing wire was warming up in the sun and aiding in the process. The rest of the back lawn and garden has about 2" of snow just.

I've been trimming butts (& in a couple severe cases Bathing) my orp hens. While doing that, I'm also applying some poultry dust to prevent mites. Yes, my Orpingtons have big fluffy bottoms = poop can stick, but it's worse right now. Trying to figure out the cause & treatment. Any advice would be appreciated.

Biggest symptom is watery stools & poopy butts.
* Could it be the weather? I sometimes have issues when it's flooding in the backyard. (However, the run/coop is overall dry and they're only outside of it for 5-10 min a day while I'm cleaning.)
* I dewormed 2xs in Feb. Once to deworm and a second to catch any remaining hatched buggers about 12-14 days later. I usually see watery stools when deworming, but I think it would have cleared up a week after treatment. I know the second dose was later than recommended, but life happens.
* I gave them some old kale over the weekend, so it could just be food related. However, that was a few days ago, so it should be cleared out by now. I do see some normal droppings in the coop, but I think I'm seeing more watery blobs than normal. Also, when it's time to stretch their legs, they walk out onto the patio and almost every dropping is a watery mess.

Perhaps vent gleet?

Feathers are shiny. Breathing OK. Nostrils clear, eyes bright, many are laying eggs.
Exceptions: My 2 Leghorns have slowed. I was getting 2 eggs daily last spring-Jan 2021. Now it's only one every other day. They could really use a molt and perhaps that explains the decline of white eggs.

I'm going to try some apple cider vinegar in the water.
Anyone know of other good boosters that may help things clear up?

I've been trimming butts (& in a couple severe cases Bathing) my orp hens. While doing that, I'm also applying some poultry dust to prevent mites. Yes, my Orpingtons have big fluffy bottoms = poop can stick, but it's worse right now. Trying to figure out the cause & treatment. Any advice would be appreciated.

* Could it be the weather? I sometimes have issues when it's flooding in the backyard. (However, the run/coop is overall dry and they're only outside of it for 5-10 min a day while I'm cleaning.)
* I dewormed 2xs in Feb. Once to deworm and a second to catch any remaining hatched buggers about 12-14 days later. I usually see watery stools when deworming, but I think it would have cleared up a week after treatment. I know the second dose was later than recommended, but life happens.
* I gave them some old kale over the weekend, so it could just be food related. However, that was a few days ago, so it should be cleared out by now. I do see some normal droppings in the coop, but I think I'm seeing more watery blobs than normal. Also, when it's time to stretch their legs, they walk out onto the patio and almost every dropping is a watery mess.

Perhaps vent gleet?

Feathers are shiny. Breathing OK. Nostrils clear, eyes bright, many are laying eggs.
Exceptions: My 2 Leghorns have slowed. I was getting 2 eggs daily last spring-Jan 2021. Now it's only one every other day. They could really use a molt and perhaps that explains the decline of white eggs.

The only other general "booster" I know of is Nutri Drench. It's a supplement that helps with all sorts of things, including an immune system boost:
  • No digestion required-immediate nutrient balance.
  • Delivers all vital nutrients to restore the immune system.
  • The fastest replacement nutrition possible ,with 99% utilization.
  • Increase profits and flock production.
  • Raise big healthy birds, naturally.
  • Balanced nutrition for growth, reproduction and resistance to disease.
  • Helps with appetite.
  • Safe for Laying Hens.
  • Antibiotic response.
  • Helps with transport stress.
  • Balances immune system.

@Molpet
Look what I saw on a website:
1614808086531.png

:lau:lau:lau:lau

Turkeys are good protectors, have pretty feathers, and taste good, so they do have some redeeming qualities.

... but certainly NOT

Intelligent?
"Wonderful" personalities? (maybe unique or quirky or needy)
Cleaner than chickens?

Where are they getting this stuff!?

I guess dumb, prone to accidental death, and cabalistic tendencies toward day-old chicks would not help them sell their poults.

The only other general "booster" I know of is Nutri Drench. It's a supplement that helps with all sorts of things, including an immune system boost:
  • No digestion required-immediate nutrient balance.
  • Delivers all vital nutrients to restore the immune system.
  • The fastest replacement nutrition possible ,with 99% utilization.
  • Increase profits and flock production.
  • Raise big healthy birds, naturally.
  • Balanced nutrition for growth, reproduction and resistance to disease.
  • Helps with appetite.
  • Safe for Laying Hens.
  • Antibiotic response.
  • Helps with transport stress.
  • Balances immune system.
I decided to finally order some. Many people have claimed this product really perks up their sick/weak chicks & chickens, so it's not a bad idea to have some in my chicken 1st aid kit.

Also, I noticed that my orps with the worst butts are sleeping on the high shelves instead of roosting. Well, since they're laying down, their bellies & back ends are getting more exposure to their own poop (instead of falling down onto the poop board.) This may explain why the butts seem messier than usual. Of course trying to keep them off those shelves is exhausting.

Last edited:

Perhaps vent gleet?

I thought my birds had worms. It turned out I was just giving them too much protein treats. Sunflower seeds and mealworms. I cut back on the protein and poop return to normal. Not certain its your issue, just what I've come across.
Added... also I remember someone saying occasionally added food grade DTE to their feed to deworming them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom