Illinois...

Has anyone ever had a lot of blood on an egg?
I've had some streaks when a young hen strains as her eggs get bigger.

Styx will turn one year on July 4th.
Her egg had blood clots on it.
I wiped most of it off, then decided to grab a camera.
IMG_7716.JPG

It was easy to know this egg came from poor Styx. I feared prolapse but things looked ok after a wet paper towel. Any ideas what's going on?
Should I apply anything or just leave it be?
IMG_7719.JPG
IMG_7725.JPG
IMG_7720.JPG

Still processing cherries. I'm up to 20 bags in the freezer. Looks like family is getting cherry sauce for Christmas! (We also do tomato sauce and pickles if the harvest is good.)
IMG_7727.JPG

I also picked a zucchini log. Actually it's not so bad. I was able to get to it in time (between storms). Ground is so squishy but garden seems to be surviving.
IMG_7728.JPG

It was easy to know this egg came from poor Styx. I feared prolapse but things looked ok after a wet paper towel. Any ideas what's going on?

I wiped Styx’s vent and let things be. Things look perfectly normal now. I have no idea what happened. Way more blood than I’ve ever seen. I’m hoping it doesn’t happen again. (She’s a favorite. Right now our only piano playing chicken!)

Has anyone ever had a lot of blood on an egg?
I've had some streaks when a young hen strains as her eggs get bigger.

Styx will turn one year on July 4th.
Her egg had blood clots on it.
I wiped most of it off, then decided to grab a camera.
View attachment 2743447

Should I apply anything or just leave it be?
I've had eggs look that bad before. Cleared up without treatment required.
Also Styx and I share a birthday.

Finally got coop and run dry, clean and fresh. For now! I also reinforced some weatherstripping but I still need to figure out how to permanently seal up the window gaps that leak. I tried spraying them with FlexSeal and it worked for a while but when it rains really hard, it's still getting in there.

My garden still needs some help but it's like a jungle! Got a couple monster zucchini and one cucumber so far. The strawberries are growing nicely but the chickens eat them before they're ready to be picked and my tomatoes are so thick and tall I may never see if anything grows. But at least it's not a swamp anymore! My son said "It smells like a Spartan race out here" and he was right!

So this is a 3 month old lav Orpington and it looks like she has a crazy cowlick-her feather pattern is just messy. And some of her feathers always look patchy, ruffled and curled. Is this normal? My buff Orpington looks perfect, every feather in just the right place. This one always looks like this, especially with the cowlick on the left of her neck :D Could she have the frizzle gene and it be coming thru? I don't care, I'm just curious. I think it's a recessive gene so it could have snuck into the hatchery unnoticed.
https://youtube.com/shorts/sRSn0k4jLpc?feature=share

Back
Top Bottom