Illinois...

Sorry about the loss of the poult.

Each evening, I must watch the sun. I have to go out at just the right time to tell the turkeys to go to bed. The big male stays by the door until I come out to let them know it's bedtime. One night I wasn't home until 9pm and he was still sitting by the door waiting for me. The female waits for a little bit..... but as dusk comes, she heads for the big tree. Many nights I must poke the tree in order to get her down. If it's more dark than light, she won't come down and spends the night up there. If I go outside too early, the chickens see me and file out of the coop to say hello. (Then all my poultry is in the yard!) Does anyone else share this balancing act of when to close the coop?

Sorry about the loss of the poult.

Each evening, I must watch the sun. I have to go out at just the right time to tell the turkeys to go to bed. The big male stays by the door until I come out to let them know it's bedtime. One night I wasn't home until 9pm and he was still sitting by the door waiting for me. The female waits for a little bit..... but as dusk comes, she heads for the big tree. Many nights I must poke the tree in order to get her down. If it's more dark than light, she won't come down and spends the night up there. If I go outside too early, the chickens see me and file out of the coop to say hello. (Then all my poultry is in the yard!) Does anyone else share this balancing act of when to close the coop?
Anybody with turkeys, trees, and no roof on the run

Had a near-hawk experience tonight. I was outside with Sasha (the good dog) and the chickens and Sasha was trying to get in the house because someone rang the doorbell and the other 2 were howling. I told her to wait because I was about to put the chickens in anyway but someone (my husband likely) let her in the house. Well just as my little parade of hens begrudgingly headed home, a hawk swoops out of nowhere and was so close to them, I had to count beaks 3 times to be sure it didn't get one. I was right there and shouted at it, but I think Sasha being in the house was what made it decide to take the chance. Two of my ladies were behind the coop and frozen in fear because it was sitting perched on the fence probably trying to figure out if a 2nd swoop would be worthwhile. Luckily everyone got in the run except those 2 so I was able to go herd them around the other side to the run. I bet they went straight to bed! And husband got an earful about why Sasha is always in the yard when the chickens are out. Wine time!!!

Did manage to harvest a couple randy cockerels that were tormenting old ladies. Had one locked in a carrier in the coop for a couple days. One of the old ladies used to hide in there. Found her with feathers on her beak and him away from the door. I think she was getting him back through the door :gig

Anybody use this for bugs? Looks interesting , I haven't seen any, but I use sulfur in the dust bath.
https://www.southlandorganics.com/blogs/news/how-to-get-rid-of-chicken-mites
I'm amazed I couldn't find one person in BYC search that had mentioned this product. it does look like the company has sponsored on this site from time to time, but I didn't see any mention of their bug product. If it works I sure wouldn't mind trying it since I lost two of my bantam cochins to mites this spring. Really horrible infestation, I had to try three different products before I finally brought things under control. I'm going to bookmark their site.

I had to try three different products before I finally brought things under control.
What was the product that finally succeed for you?? and which type of mites were you dealing with??

I read that web page about that Desecticide. It is priced reasonably, since only need 6 OZ, per half gallon of water. A gallon of concentrate will go a long way.
Half gallon of spray should treat a backyard coop well.

Good morning all.
Anybody want some poults? Hatched Aug 11
I caught 2 of the 3 poults that are left last night. The other ran off into the brush, but was still running around this morning. Hopefully I can catch it tonight.
Don't know why this comes to my mind :old
1634497100684.png

Back
Top Bottom