Illinois...

Unswydd

Wishing you best with your new flock coming in spring. You will need to make sure the run is secure to minimize loses since you will not be there all the time. My suggestion (just from my point of view) have an automatic pop door so chickens can get outdoors in the early morning. Keep feed inside where safe from night time predators. Water both in and outside always.
If you will be able to visit only once daily,,, evening would be of preference,,,,,, to make sure chickens get locked up for the night.
I have an automatic pop door. But not all my chickens choose to enter coop at evening.
Ask all the questions when you encounter situations. :highfive:

Annie is zooming around in the snow @Justso . She almost played with a walnut, she poked it with her nose and ran off. She still will not play with balls or toys. Just watches the squirrels and deer, which is good. Does go after mice and Chipmunks, which is good too.
Oh my goodness, what a funny dog. It really warms my heart to know you have her. I hope you can post a picture sometime.

Since I placed chickens into their winter housing inside garage loft,,,, I started getting eggs.
Just from the chicken I got from

WhyDoILikeChickens

last April.
image_2022-01-16_014430.png

Not sure if it is the increased light.... 12 hours on timer daily. Or Lo just started laying naturally. She is my youngest chicken. She was a pullet last April when I got her. She just finished a lite molt a few weeks ago.
I dug up this pix from my post in April 2021.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/illinois.37/post-24307254

Unswydd

Wishing you best with your new flock coming in spring. You will need to make sure the run is secure to minimize loses since you will not be there all the time. My suggestion (just from my point of view) have an automatic pop door so chickens can get outdoors in the early morning. Keep feed inside where safe from night time predators. Water both in and outside always.
If you will be able to visit only once daily,,, evening would be of preference,,,,,, to make sure chickens get locked up for the night.
I have an automatic pop door. But not all my chickens choose to enter coop at evening.
Ask all the questions when you encounter situations. :highfive:
Thanks Cavemanrich! That's good advice and I'll take it. We do have a lot of predators out there since no one lives there. Coyotes, cats, fox, owls and hawks. I plan on getting a Roo or 2 as well. I will take all the necessary precautions against all foes!!!
I normally go out around 1pm to feed the cats and will hang around so the hens can free-range inside a electric fence then put them up inside their run. But going back at night is a good idea. Timing will depend on how high gasoline gets too. I may have to adjust my schedule.

Back
Top Bottom