Illinois...

They look like BRs. They're hatchery quality, so may have some physical traits that don't conform to APA standards. But, they're females, will lay eggs and you'll learn what breeds fit your needs best. You may get an accidental male oops, but so far I don't see any obvious cockerels.

If any of those have a flattened comb, then it's probably a Dominique. BRs are more popular, but those Doms are very nice.
I don’t think they are doms…they all have single combs. None of those have wattles yet. But tomorrow they will all be 3 weeks. I’m sure not all about pure breed. It would be nice to have some that are but I’m gonna love them just the same.

I’m excepting at least 3 males. But I don’t really see the hatchery giving me males intentionally. Only because then they would have to refund me. Really only time will tell. And they are all pretty playful, flying at each other and what have you. So there really isn’t anything standing out to me…at least not yet.

Do you all ever worry you might have too many chickens? I know it's because the babies bring drama in the pecking order but man, they are all picking at each other!! It's hot, they're snippy, the babies are afraid of their own shadows. It's a lot of drama in my coop lately. LOL!! I am technically allowed to have 4 and I have 14. And with new neighbors moving next door, I am just hoping nobody makes a phone call. My current neighbors love the chickens and they have a super barky dog that we love. It's been very amicable. Who knows what happens when the new people move in!

But the thought of rehoming any of them is kind of sad. I know people do it all the time but I would feel like I am giving away my dog. And my dogs are basically my best friends. LOL!

Do you all ever worry you might have too many chickens? I know it's because the babies bring drama in the pecking order but man, they are all picking at each other!! It's hot, they're snippy, the babies are afraid of their own shadows. It's a lot of drama in my coop lately. LOL!! I am technically allowed to have 4 and I have 14. And with new neighbors moving next door, I am just hoping nobody makes a phone call. My current neighbors love the chickens and they have a super barky dog that we love. It's been very amicable. Who knows what happens when the new people move in!

But the thought of rehoming any of them is kind of sad. I know people do it all the time but I would feel like I am giving away my dog. And my dogs are basically my best friends. LOL!
X2!

I have gone from wondering to knowing 😂

I hesitates to share because I was underestimate of the outcome just yet, but we managed to save one of our chickens. She was simply dumb and got herself stuck in a corner and didn't think to back out. I found her in the corner between a cinder block and the fence looking like a pile of feathers. I thought we lost a hen. Then it moved... I picked her up and put it in the coop. She started eating right away. She was clearly dehydrated and starved as she couldn't walk well. DW bright he inside and put her in the brooder (rubbermaid trough) that we has just taken the turkeys out of. The hen ate and drank well, which was a relief. After two days in the brooder she was doing well and is now back outside.

Here we go again.
DS's livestream will be on for the next day or 2. This time it's quail for a friend and a few orpingtons for my broody hen, Darling. (She's clumsy and often breaks her eggs. That's why she incubates rocks and is given chicks after hatch. Otherwise she's a good mama.)

More chick drama!!

1) The next time any of you hear me talking about more chicks I want someone to come over and club me upside the head. 😂😂😂

2) WWYD? I have one hen that is usually such a good girl, very established in the flock, kind to everyone, friendly, lays almost every day. Her only downside is that she is an absolute terror of a bully when it comes to chicks. She did it to the last group as well but it wasn't as bad because they were brooder chicks and bigger by the time I introduced them. She is the one who already fatally wounded one chick and she got one of the other ones pretty good today. She is the only one who's inflicted any injuries on any of them. And she's persistent in hunting them. That's Natasha.

Millie has lost all interest in mothering and the 2 babies are on their own. There are a few hens who tolerate them well enough to let them roost with and most just ignore them but Natasha is relentless and sometimes a few others will peck (especially when there's fresh blood). The babies spend all day hiding and terrified of Natasha.

Here's the question, I don't think I can keep the chicks and Natasha. She's going to keep trying to kill them. I can temporarily bring a chicken in the house for injuries but I don't have a separate coop to completely separate anyone for a longer period. And the babies are too big for a brooder now. I am thinking I should find a new home for Lizzy and Maggie before Natasha strikes again. I hate to remove them because they've done absolutely nothing wrong but Natasha is established in this flock and they aren't. They're just shy of 2 months old, and other than Maggie's fresh head wound today, they're healthy and should be good layers.

Does it make sense to give them up and keep Natasha? Or would you guys go a different way?

More chick drama!!

1) The next time any of you hear me talking about more chicks I want someone to come over and club me upside the head. 😂😂😂

2) WWYD? I have one hen that is usually such a good girl, very established in the flock, kind to everyone, friendly, lays almost every day. Her only downside is that she is an absolute terror of a bully when it comes to chicks. She did it to the last group as well but it wasn't as bad because they were brooder chicks and bigger by the time I introduced them. She is the one who already fatally wounded one chick and she got one of the other ones pretty good today. She is the only one who's inflicted any injuries on any of them. And she's persistent in hunting them. That's Natasha.

Millie has lost all interest in mothering and the 2 babies are on their own. There are a few hens who tolerate them well enough to let them roost with and most just ignore them but Natasha is relentless and sometimes a few others will peck (especially when there's fresh blood). The babies spend all day hiding and terrified of Natasha.

Here's the question, I don't think I can keep the chicks and Natasha. She's going to keep trying to kill them. I can temporarily bring a chicken in the house for injuries but I don't have a separate coop to completely separate anyone for a longer period. And the babies are too big for a brooder now. I am thinking I should find a new home for Lizzy and Maggie before Natasha strikes again. I hate to remove them because they've done absolutely nothing wrong but Natasha is established in this flock and they aren't. They're just shy of 2 months old, and other than Maggie's fresh head wound today, they're healthy and should be good layers.

Does it make sense to give them up and keep Natasha? Or would you guys go a different way?
Sorry you're having flock drama.

If it's just Natasha, do you have some type of cage to use as a chicken jail? A dog crate, rabbit cage, etc? Do you think having her partially isolated for her bullying will help? I've done that to bullies before with some success. While bully is in cage, babies get to explore with less fear and build confidence. Bully gets to see chicks interact with flock and it may temporarily bring her down in status. After a couple days of jail, she may have less aggression.

How long has it been going on? There's often a lot of scuffles for the 1st week. Chicks are afraid and skittish of big hens. Running away invites more pecking. Hiding to stay out of the way and eating only when the adults are absent are normal. Do the chicks have a safety zone? I always start the chicks out in the run inside a wire cage. ("Look but don't peck" approach) Then after a few days or a week, I open the door a crack. Just enough for chicks to slip through - but not hens. Hold the door in position with some type of clip, twist tie, or brick. When hens are not around they will venture out. When hens are present, they run back into their safety cage which has their food and water.

A peck if chicks get too close is also normal. (Chicks need to learn to give adults their space.) Hens hunting them down is not normal. There are some breeds that are more aggressive than others. Tough decision if things don't calm down. After flocks have had chicks come and go, they do get used to having broody hens in the flock. The 1st time is always hard since all are learning - including you.

If there's no way to keep Natasha and chicks (and you've tried everything) then rehoming may have to be done. I prefer keeping the bird with whom I have a better relationship which usually means the older one.

Back
Top Bottom