Illinois...

The chicks from my broody bantams will be 8 weeks on Friday.

Spitzhauben #1 (I'm leaning towards female) Just has a narrow girlish face
View attachment 3373081
crop adjustment (or opera singer)
View attachment 3373068

Spitzhauben #2 (I thought male because of head shape but no male wattles yet)
View attachment 3373088View attachment 3373089

Showgirl #1 (maybe female)
View attachment 3373071View attachment 3373072

Showgirl #2 - a frizzle! Maybe male. Comb has a pink hue at times & bigger than the other.
View attachment 3373073
View attachment 3373090

Serama - "Mr Obvious" Knew he was a male before 3 weeks
View attachment 3373077View attachment 3373079
Opera singer 😂

Interesting product. A lot simpler than other auto openers I've seen and a much better price point too.
Automatic Chicken Coop Door,Run Chicken Automatic Door Light Sensing,Auto Chicken Door Opener,Automatic On and Off of Chicken Door in The Morning and Evening(No Timer) https://a.co/d/6CD4Y8i

Interesting product. A lot simpler than other auto openers I've seen and a much better price point too.
Automatic Chicken Coop Door,Run Chicken Automatic Door Light Sensing,Auto Chicken Door Opener,Automatic On and Off of Chicken Door in The Morning and Evening(No Timer) https://a.co/d/6CD4Y8i
Did you read the reviews?

I wonder about predator proof since it's plastic

I seen that one before on amazon. Amazon also sells a number of different doors,, same style that range much higher in price. they look similar.
Did you read the reviews?

I wonder about predator proof since it's plastic
I have an Ador1, that I purchased in 2017. It was $219 at that time. Now it is going for $259 on Ador1 website. Amazon gets more. $275.
I am satisficed with mine. Has been operating for over 5½ years trouble free.

Breeder,,,,,, if you do decide to get the $33 dollar door, let me know what you think of it.
Ador1 is somewhat larger opening.
Large Opening: 13" Height x 10.5" Width. Mount vertically or horizontally.

33 dollar unit
inner door is about 11.8 inches x 7.8 inches.

I seen that one before on amazon. Amazon also sells a number of different doors,, same style that range much higher in price. they look similar.

I have an Ador1, that I purchased in 2017. It was $219 at that time. Now it is going for $259 on Ador1 website. Amazon gets more. $275.
I am satisficed with mine. Has been operating for over 5½ years trouble free.

Breeder,,,,,, if you do decide to get the $33 dollar door, let me know what you think of it.
Ador1 is somewhat larger opening.
Large Opening: 13" Height x 10.5" Width. Mount vertically or horizontally.

33 dollar unit
inner door is about 11.8 inches x 7.8 inches.
I will not be getting it because my run is quite shaded and it operates on a light sensor. I wouldn't want it to lock my birds out of the coop in the middle of the afternoon well before they really go in.

I will not be getting it because my run is quite shaded and it operates on a light sensor.
My coop is in the shade of a tarp overhead. ( Protection against weather and flying raptors)... Door operates smarter than we think. It does not need sunshine, just daylight. My main benefit of it is,,,,, door gets opened at crack of dawn,, and girls are already scratching in run area, before we get to set out their feed. (time can vary on that). At dusk,, we go to remove feed and place into metal container. Then lock up people door also.

Building a greenhouse...
20230121_130326.jpg
20230121_211931.jpg

DS has frequently been bringing his chicken inside to play. She has become very comfortable walking around the house. He's been playing fetch with her - which is hilarious. He gets Poot's attention then rolls a ball which she chases and pecks to get a treat. She doesn't bring it back yet ... but neither do most dogs. DS even has her run up and down the stairs to chase the ball. Poot also follows him throughout the house and when he sits on the sofa and calls her, she hops right up into his lap

So tonight as I'm cooking dinner, I hear the little patter of chicken feet. I look down and there she is looking up at me and tilting her head. I yell to DS to get his chicken out of the kitchen. He calls her, and off she runs to the family room. Being followed around the kitchen by a hen is not something I ever expected to deal with. I've been a mom for almost 18 years and I'm still surprised at the things I must say.

Last edited:
DS has frequently been bringing his chicken inside to play. She has become very comfortable walking around the house. He's been playing fetch with her - which is hilarious. He gets Poot's attention then rolls a ball which she chases and pecks to get a treat. She doesn't bring it back yet ... but neither do most dogs. DS even has her run up and down the stairs to chase the ball. Poot also follows him throughout the house and when he sits on the sofa and calls her, she hops right up into his lap

So tonight as I'm cooking dinner, I hear the little patter of chicken feet. I look down and there she is looking up at me and tilting her head. I yell to DS to get his chicken out of the kitchen. He calls her, and off she runs to the family room. Being followed around the kitchen by a hen is not something I ever expected to deal with. I've been a mom for almost 18 years and I'm still surprised at the things I must say.
I inherited a parrot that walked around and up my leg, problem was he would take a chunk out of you.
One night I was on the computer in the dining room and heard claws on the floor. Turned and a raccoon was at the cat food.... I yelled and it ran down the basement stairs. It came back and I chased it down the stairs and out the cat door. That was the end of the cat door lol

Back
Top Bottom