Illinois...

Quote:
We thought about poison, but since we have 4 cats and they are wonderful mousers, we were afarid that either somehow the cats or chickens could be affected? I would rather be safe than sorry. If I don't find any Wyandotte eggs soon, I will just have to wait till spring...OMG, did I just say I could wait till spring?
ep.gif

Quote:
We thought about poison, but since we have 4 cats and they are wonderful mousers, we were afarid that either somehow the cats or chickens could be affected? I would rather be safe than sorry. If I don't find any Wyandotte eggs soon, I will just have to wait till spring...OMG, did I just say I could wait till spring?
ep.gif

Yea I'd definitely worry about the cats... Poor kitties
sad.png
I guess a live trap
will have to work. I would always set them to catch coons but I kept catching rabbits!
ep.gif

I know I can't wait for spring! I have eggs arriving soon , i'm a hatching addict !

Quote:
ep.gif

Yea I'd definitely worry about the cats... Poor kitties
sad.png
I guess a live trap
will have to work. I would always set them to catch coons but I kept catching rabbits!
ep.gif

I know I can't wait for spring! I have eggs arriving soon , i'm a hatching addict !

The addiction only gets worse...LOL Good luck on your eggs, hope you have a wonderful hatch!

I would guess it was a raccoon. They are notorious for reaching through fencing and pulling the birds through enought to eat. Foxes most of the time grab the bird and take off with it leaving just a bunch of feathers. Cat food works real well to bait with if you can put the cats up somewhere to keep them out of the trap. If not, try baiting with eggs as coons like them but the cats will leave them alone.

Hi everyone! I was sick yesterday so didn't make it outside during the horrible wind and snow drifts..... But my DH did:love
it soooooo cold! I let the chickies out, they ran to the door stopped immediatly, and ate snow:rolleyes: but they were happy. If I could find a way to upload pics from my phone I would, so you all could see mini hagrid ( a 4 month old BLRW) run up a 4 ft tall snow drift, get upset because she couldn't find anyone else, then jump between the drift and the shed and get completly lost! Silly little chickie!

BUT being the good mom I am
big_smile.png
( just tootin my own horn) I saved her! And retened her to the coop with the oatmeal and yogurt
smile.png

Oh how I love snow..... From the inside of house.

Quote:
Glad you like it...lol
Hubby still working to get us unburied so we can get out to the road...we have 6-8 foot drifts in the middle of the drive in several spots. Really suxs living in the middle of an open field in the winter. On the up side, it makes me appreciate the hot buttered rum mix stashed in the freezer!
wink.png

Quote:
Oh, no! So sorry to hear about your chickens! We've been lucky--so far! We went with heavy duty wire around the run. We can't let our chickens out of the run--cranky neighbor
smack.gif
We've been locking the door at night, too--more because of the cold than anything else. We also covered the run in plastic due to the wind/snow (got that done in the nick of time over the last warm day I think we're gonna see for awhile). We got our Wyandottes at Rural King, but would love to get gold laced Wyandottes, etc. so will be checking that out once it warms up this spring. We've been happy with the Wandas (Wyandottes). This chicken thing is addicting! My husband is talking about converting the playhouse (left here from previous tenant) into a second coop for meat birds. If you get a chance to check out the State Fair, they have an amazing amount of chickens (Orr Building) of almost any variety (my hubby particularly liked the Jersey Giants).

Once again, sorry to hear about the chickens!

Back
Top Bottom