Illustrations of adult male peafowls.

I'm in agreement with Ga-Tre as to the region where Pavo a. annamensis is native. I know it inhabits Bolaven Plateau in Laos (based upon skins) and assume that it's range is more or less analogous with that of Lophura annamensis, engelbachi and beli .

hmm that bird appears to be annamensis, the wings are shaped similar to this bird:

annam%203.jpg

Where in North Vietnam were these collected? This is odd... Around Tonkin we have Tonkinensis and around Hanoi we have nominate imperator. Tonkinensis has a short crest and is more bluer in colour. The third picture of a male is weird... the wing looks totally different. The colours remind me of the pictures I posted earlier from Thailand which are probalby annamensis or muticus.

The crown is a cerulean blue and there's more blue on the wings than Imperator.

There's another male at the back with a better crest. Is it another annamensis?

I've got some bad news. Martin got news from Laurent Fontaine that the work by Wolfgang Mennig for the WPA has been abandoned... The DNA was too hard to be analyzed given that captive populations are mixed....

Last edited:
I think no one in America and Europe has Pavo muticus muticus with so long legs and slim body .
Not anywhere where Java stands is Java in there.
But here !!

Last edited:
Yes, peafowls do have mites & lices, I had seen lices in feathers of shot peafowls, in New Zealand.

Quote:
Danny12.Sorry for delay response.Yes I know Venerable Thich Nguyen Duc.Start rasing peafowl 25 years ago with few pairs wild peafowls buy from hunters in Phu Yen and Gia Lai.Now he have alot pure peafowls and not mix .In this year i have contact him but they say wait on the rainy season(2012) when peahens lay again.Yes.If you want raise green peacocks in Vietnam you will need a permit.
Quote:
Resolution: Green peacocks usually live in the tropical broadleaf forest or in large valleys near swamps and forest grassland.and Lophura annamensis, beli silver or great argus pheasant live on jungle or highland mountains you will never record peafowl in highland mountains or rarely found them on jungle .I post map for wild peafowls live in Central Highland you will see.I use map for mapservices.iucnredlist.org.
untitled-2.jpg

Can you tell me a some info about "engelbachi" i never hear they in Vietnam.

Last edited:
yes Lophura and Peafowl aren't really found in the exact same habitats but their evolutionary histories are similar in the way they have become isolated and evolved into distinct species.

I think most breeders in the native range either catch them wild or take their eggs... Unfortunately some birds, like that lone Imperator at Hanoi's Ho Chi Minh Garden, are raised like that, living in a cramped cage with only an Indian Peahen and some pheasants to keep company! I think it really should stop. It may be hard to find Wild Green Peafowl, and it should remain that way, hidden away in mystery and living their own life instead of being hunted after.

A few years ago I was in Taiwan and a baby Bulbul fell from the tree. People like me and a few other park visitors tried to help it, but then someone who claimed to have some "experience" came to the park. He thought it was it was too late to give the bulbul back to its parents and therefore he took it away. He tried hiding the chick from the adults which were angry. There was nothing we could do to stop him; he claims he's done this all the time with squirrels and birds and that there are no real park rangers that care about these animals. He had already held the chick by then which would mean it may get rejected by its parents. I've also seen people sell a NET of birds that have been wild-caught, such as Mynahs and Turtle Doves, I was utterly disgusted and although there are laws protecting wildlife, they do it when no cops are watching. Birds like white finches are used for "fortune telling". Fortunately this time around I didn't these sorts of sellers.

Last edited:
Quote:
The Javanese is an unusual creature isn't it? Didn't some Javanese birds arrive in Europe a few years ago?

- The Lophura engelbachi is from Bolavan Plateau. We are finding that the annamensis species is highly unusual amongst green peafowl for its preference of living in quite high elevations and within broadleaf evergreen forest biomes- this species has a more or less analogous biogeographical range with the black silver pheasants- those related to annamensis, including lewisi and engelbachi. This form of green peafowl is ecologically divergent from the imperator species. I do not consider them to subspecific races but valid species.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom