I'm a dog walker...so I need a new place to take my crew!

So let me get this straight in my head.....you take other people's dogs, off leash, to open areas where you let them run?

So when you find an open field do you have the land owner's permission to be there with these dogs?

Its usually state owned land and beaches. I have never gone on someones private property without permission. The site I am looking at, I plan on calling the owner and getting written permission.
I did have one horse farm that allows me to use an area of their farm but lately they have been usine part of that as a dump site with large barrels that would harbour mosquito larvae...not healthy

I am not planning on trespassing on private property, that would be inconsiderate and rude. Since state owned open space is at a minimum, I am now having to check out private land.

Quote:
You might need to change your practices- my only solution is to find a business that wants you around and get it in writing.

this is my exact plan. I carry liability insurance to protect my clients and the public at large and I will also include a special rider on my policy to cover the land owner against any liablity from my actions or the dogs actions.

I am just increasingly frustrated with the quality of the dog parks. They are poorly maintained, never monitored, the owners NEVER pick up after their dogs....its just not worth it. I'd rather drive an extra 20 minutes to a place that I have control. I ALWAYS pick up after my pack. At the dog parks, I got to the point of doing poop patrol for other peoples dogs because I got sick of MY dogs stepping in poop CONSTANTLY.
somad.gif
At least with an open space, its just us there, I will always pick up and there will be no other dogs or humans to ruin our zen!
wee.gif

I honestly wish wish the economy would improve so that I can get back my equity (I'm under about $70K) so that I can buy a home with 10 acres and just bring them to my own land...but that will be a while.
roll.png

That's good to hear.....I was kind of thinking you were just driving around looking for an open field to use. Are you sure your liability will cover you and any land owner if you're technically breaking the leash law? I'd triple check on that if I were you.

I've been dealing with other dogs at dog parks the same way I deal with mine when they decide not to listen. A quick squirt from a squirt bottle, will get their attention. I load my bottle with half water half organic vinegar. They hate the smell. I've had a few owners confront me about it and I tell them. If you won't control your dog(s) I will!

There's a $500 deductible for off leash claims. Nothing is said about breaking leash laws. If I am on private land with the owners written permission then there are no laws being broken

Back
Top Bottom