I'm a terrible human being...

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
But it was totally awesome to feed a crane fly to my venus fly trap!

230_img_2612.jpg

The trap isn't really that big. The whole plant is in a 3 inch pot.

Post pics of your carnivorous plants!!!

Thats so weird how thay are like alive and eat things like that... ugh..
I've heard that you can feed them raw hamburg too....

They need to be fed live things. The closing is two stages. The first stage is set off by two touches to one hair, or one touch to two hairs in the trap. Secondary closing is where the trap presses closes to seal in the bug. This second step only occurs if the bug inside is alive and moves enough to set off a second reaction in the trap. Reason is so the plant doesn't secrete digestive juices on a bug that is too small thus the first step is to allow small ones to get out. If you feed pellet foods or dead bugs, you have to stimulate the leaf about 30 times to get it to close all the way. Hamburger is said to be too high in fat and can lead to the death of a leaf, never tried it myself though.

Very nice Flytrap, sympathies to the crane fly. They are really cool plants, I have very occasionally found one in the wild.

Wonder if I could grow one big enough to eat all the snakes here?
big_smile.png

Very pretty plant! I haven't any right now, darn it.

great pic! It looks so healthy, the ones I see for sale always look so sad. I like venus fly traps but I don't think I could bring myself to feed it live critters, so I've never gotten one. Guess that's what happens when your first pets are meal worms.

what happends if you stick your finger in there?? lol anyone tried it? i'm curious. i want one.. i could get my dad drunk and tell him to put his finger in there lol

btw.. one day i saw a snail and wondered if my ducks would eat it, but then i felt bad and didn't take the snail to them... so i go around naming all the snails hahaha. they all happen to be boys, they all have boy names lol

Back
Top Bottom