I'm an idiot...

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
I went to a grocery store yesterday, and got into the checkout line. DH left me there alone and went next door to the liquor store to pick up some beer. So I put my groceries on the converoyor belt and asked the cashier how he was doing. He was dark skinned and I think Mexican, he had an accent when he told me that he is doing fantastic. I then asked if he was ready for spring, and like an idiot I comment that I was tired of looking at brown (no snow and all of the grass is dead, I want to see green!). Without missing a beat, the cashier said 'Like me?" Suddenly realizing that I just told a person that has a darker complexion that I was tired of looking at brown, I was absolutely horrified because that was NOT what I meant! I am sure that I sounded like an idiot as I tried to dig myself out of that one... I feel sooo bad!

I just felt horrible and told him that kind of brown reminds me of the sun...

I am 1/4 Italian, and have a very... ummm... fair complexion. Which translates to pasty white. I don't tan. I spent 4 years on Guam and spent a lot of time outside. Folks asked me what kind of sunscreen I used because they would get a bad sunburn and I was still really pale. The only way you can see the Italian is if I I am around anything that is emerald green, then you can see the olive tint in my skin. It looks horrible.

Sorry to say that I get fed up with attitudes like the one shown by the cashier. They use any excuse possible to point out how white people are against them in some manner. I'd have asked "No. Is there a reason that I should be?"

Here is one of my foot-in-the-mouth stories to make you feel better:

A friend recently told me she was going to kill her teen boys (jokingly!) so I came back with "I'll help you get rid of the bodies and they will never be found."
lol.png

She gave me this horrified look and said " My sister was killed by her husband 20 years ago... they've never found her body".

Believe me, I know how horrible you feel.
th.gif

In my defense I NEVER, EVER say I would kill anyone. I have a low guilt threshold and God forbid, if anything would happen... I am shocked, now, that she would, after experiencing the loss of her sister.

The cashier has probably forgotten the whole exchange. You try to forget it, too.
hugs.gif

I'd have followed up his reply with: Only if you can turn green soon, I'm ready for spring aren't you!

Last edited:
Did he say"like me" with a smile or was it with attitude? If it was with a genuine smile he probably wasn't trippin and either should you.
Maybe just being friendly and making a joke. But if this guy was glaring at you he's just got a bad attitude.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom