I'm an idiot...

Quote: That's not the missed opportunity. The missed opportunity sounds like it was sharing a laugh.
idunno.gif

I'd have followed up his reply with: Only if you can turn green soon, I'm ready for spring aren't you!

This would have been a great reply!

I didn't see the look on his face because I am one of those people who still writes checks (I don't like giving the banks more money that I have to). He didn't look like he was ready to come over the counter at me or anything, so I hope he was joking. It was just one of those moments of 'I can't believe I said that!'
he.gif

I went to a grocery store yesterday, and got into the checkout line. DH left me there alone and went next door to the liquor store to pick up some beer. So I put my groceries on the converoyor belt and asked the cashier how he was doing. He was dark skinned and I think Mexican, he had an accent when he told me that he is doing fantastic. I then asked if he was ready for spring, and like an idiot I comment that I was tired of looking at brown (no snow and all of the grass is dead, I want to see green!). Without missing a beat, the cashier said 'Like me?" Suddenly realizing that I just told a person that has a darker complexion that I was tired of looking at brown, I was absolutely horrified because that was NOT what I meant! I am sure that I sounded like an idiot as I tried to dig myself out of that one... I feel sooo bad!

First off, it sounds like that was a joke. Secondly, if h was making a joke do NOT feel bad. by making the joke he was indicating he knew that wasn't what you meant and that he is comfortable with race relations.

I grew up traveling all over the US in my summers, and I have learned that those sort of jokes are common among interracial groups. It is a way of disarming potential friends by putting out there the "We are different races" in a humorous context and quickly taking the stem out of racial divides. It is not meant to make someone else feel bad but instead an unspoken way of saying "We're different races/cultures, but that's ok with me if your ok with it."

That sort of humor can be risky though. Like with you it can either make a person feel bad, defensive, or offended. But if done correctly such humor can break down barriers,s tart conversation, and forge new friendships.

It is even trickier when done amid strangers who would not receive such humor the same as if done among friends, because it makes it hard for people to decide if the person is being humorous/ironic or being offensive/racist.

The bottom line, do not feel bad about your comment. I see nothing wrong with it in that context.

He most likely has forgotten about it now; so should you. Next time you go to that store, choose him and strike up a small, normal converstaion. It will make YOU feel better I bet
wink.png

See, I'm a bit evil...or something..
Cause I would have said "YES!!" Just to see what he said next...:lau

Back
Top Bottom