I'm at a loss if this is not cocci then what is it?

ElCerritoPlace

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Two of my chickens have/had runny poops, and are lethargic, sleep all day, trouble walking, falling over if trying to walk...I treated them for cocci with corid for 6 days. They seemed better atleast no more runny poops, still kinda lethargic. 4 days later they went back downhill, started treatment again. I'm on my 3rd day of treatment again and they still seem really lethargic. They both were covered in lice so I treated them with a bath of dawn dish soap and then dusted everyone in the flock in sevin dust.
What else could it be? The bantam is only lethargic but no runny poops (that I've noticed), the standard has both symptoms. Do I need to clean the coop but then what about the run?

I seem to remember that you were only treating them with 1 tsp per gallon of the liquid Corid when the correct dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water, so they haven't been on that dose very long, right? If they don't drink the Corid, they won't get better. After they all have been on the higher dose for 5 days total, then you need to make sure they have some probiotics or plain yogurt and some vitamins to fix their intestines. Apple cider vinegar in the water AFTER treatment will also help. With a lice or mite infestation I believe you have to dust the birds, completely clean out all of the bedding in coop run, nest boxes, then repeat in 10 days. Mites are even harder to deal with than lice from what I have read.

I was treating with 9.5 ml which after looking into it, I thought was 1 tsp but is 2. I was using a syringe which just had ml on it.

If they don't get better after 5 full days this time, I would suspect something else like an E.coli infection. Do you have a vet that could test a sample of their droppings? I'm not sure what antibiotic would be best for treatment. Maybe Albon or Di-Mox?

It is just lice which feather lice only reside on the birds, they can't live off of them for long. I've dusted in the coop and plan on doing a redusting/bath in 10 days after the nits hatch. I've also placed some sevin in their dusting holes, although the sick ones don't dust.

So if this is the birds second full treatment, does it often take more then one treatment to get birds back on track?

Sorry, posted at the same time. no I don't have a vet in the area that will look at chickens. I called around when I lost the second bird, no luck.

E. coli? Will that go thru the flock or is it limited to these 2 sick ones?

My dog and cat vet will look at a chicken stool sample for me, although he won't see chickens. If you could get a stool culture it might tell you what they have if you tell them you think you have cocci and maybe something else. From what I am reading today, E.Coli can accompany cocci and cause widespread illness in the chicken. Most antibiotics don't help E.coli , so scratch the Albon and Di-Mox. Changing your litter in the coop may help with it and the cocci. Sorry that they are still not doing well. There are other cocci drugs to try--the ones I just mentioned can be used on cocci also if you want to try another drug than Corid.

Back
Top Bottom