I'm at a loss

whiskaye

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2023
I've been helping my mother with her chicken and all I can see when I look up the symptoms is the chicken is dying but she would eat a ton and walk around.

PXL_20230401_210948939.jpg
PXL_20230401_210137590.jpg
PXL_20230401_210146974.jpg
PXL_20230401_210132704.jpg
She would lay and tuck her head underneath her wing and always have her tail feathers down and the other hens would peck at her.

She took her to the vet but they just prescribed antibiotics and no signs of worms from what we've seen, I'm just at a loss cause she eats, moves around but then she looks worse than the others.

I've been helping my mother with her chicken and all I can see when I look up the symptoms is the chicken is dying but she would eat a ton and walk around.

View attachment 3451907View attachment 3451909View attachment 3451921View attachment 3451924She would lay and tuck her head underneath her wing and always have her tail feathers down and the other hens would peck at her.

She took her to the vet but they just prescribed antibiotics and no signs of worms from what we've seen, I'm just at a loss cause she eats, moves around but then she looks worse than the others.
I don’t understand, what are the symptoms? When was her last egg (if shes a layer), can you show a picture of her poop? What is her behavior like?

You said she eats a lot, and then sits down with her head under her wing? Chickens sleep with their heads under their wings, so thats normal. How much is she eating? Is she drinking water?

is there an egg peeking out of her vent?

I may not have an answer but these questions may help us find one.

Quick question, are her feet swollen? In the last picture it looks like they are.

I don’t understand, what are the symptoms? When was her last egg (if shes a layer), can you show a picture of her poop? What is her behavior like?

You said she eats a lot, and then sits down with her head under her wing? Chickens sleep with their heads under their wings, so thats normal. How much is she eating? Is she drinking water?

is there an egg peeking out of her vent?

I may not have an answer but these questions may help us find one.

Quick question, are her feet swollen? In the last picture it looks like they are.
She does have bumblefoot on the left foot, I haven't personally seen her laying eggs at all so hard to say, no signs of a egg peaking from the very and I know it's normal but it just seems off, eats a lot and drinks water. Feathers just look less lively from the other hens.

She does have bumblefoot on the left foot, I haven't personally seen her laying eggs at all so hard to say, no signs of a egg peaking from the very and I know it's normal but it just seems off, eats a lot and drinks water. Feathers just look less lively from the other hens.
I just looked back up at the photos, it apears she has cross beak. But I am sorry, I do not have the answer for you. I can’t really tell what it could be.

View attachment 3451907View attachment 3451909View attachment 3451921View attachment 3451924She would lay and tuck her head underneath her wing and always have her tail feathers down and the other hens would peck at her.

How old is she and how long has she been like this? Is her poop normal?

You say she eats a lot, but she looks quite skinny in the photos and I can't see much of a crop bulge... With the cross beak are you sure she is actually able to get food down and not just trying (but failing) to eat a lot? If you're sure she is actually eating does her crop fill up like normal or does it always seem flat?

If the antibiotics don't do anything and you can't find any other cause, I would treat her with a general dewormer like valbazen or safeguard. Sometimes the only sign of a heavy worm load is general poor health and for some reason some chickens seem more susceptible to worm problems than others (I have one chicken that needs worming 2-3 times a year or she starts losing weight, etc, while the rest of my girls seem fine)

How old is she? Can you try taking a small amount of the feed in a smaller bowl with deep sides, and add water to make a mash? That needs to be changed daily, but it may make it easier for her to get enough food with her cross beak. Her crop looks empty. Does she feel lighter in weight? Her tail position is down. Does she lay eggs?

How old is she and how long has she been like this? Is her poop normal?

You say she eats a lot, but she looks quite skinny in the photos and I can't see much of a crop bulge... With the cross beak are you sure she is actually able to get food down and not just trying (but failing) to eat a lot? If you're sure she is actually eating does her crop fill up like normal or does it always seem flat?

If the antibiotics don't do anything and you can't find any other cause, I would treat her with a general dewormer like valbazen or safeguard. Sometimes the only sign of a heavy worm load is general poor health and for some reason some chickens seem more susceptible to worm problems than others (I have one chicken that needs worming 2-3 times a year or she starts losing weight, etc, while the rest of my girls seem fine)
i sit there and she does eat and is able to get it down, there is sometimes where it will fall out but mainly she is able to get food down. we will try the dewormer and the mush food. i dont know her age personally will have to find out later.

How old is she? Can you try taking a small amount of the feed in a smaller bowl with deep sides, and add water to make a mash? That needs to be changed daily, but it may make it easier for her to get enough food with her cross beak. Her crop looks empty. Does she feel lighter in weight? Her tail position is down. Does she lay eggs?
Update: turns out she has trichomoniasis

Back
Top Bottom