I'm bout fed up with ebay buyers!! Update... It just gets better!

Had to weigh in on this topic. I recently bought 2 dozen hatching eggs from a BYC member. The member sent 27 eggs, wrapped them very well, and wrote "Fragile" on the box. The PO managed to break one anyway. The eggs were shipped across the country.

I am very pleased to report that 8 chicks hatched over the past two days! There are still 5 eggs in the incubator, but I expect to have to throw them out later today.

My expectations were low with the trip they made, and my inexperience at incubating eggs. I hoped to get 6 chicks, and am thrilled with 8!

Quote:
*Sigh* And that is the seller's fault...HOW? Oh, people.

I have yet to sell any eggs, but I'm hoping to in the future, and I guess I'm learning just how careful I'll have to be about customers and making sure they understand that buying eggs is a gamble. (Even then it seems people still get customers who expect a great hatch rate always...) Some people really don't seem to understand the risk of having eggs shipped. When I buy eggs, as long as they're freshly laid and packaged well, I know the rest of their fate is not the fault of the seller, but is up to the chances of how the eggs were handled by the post office and my incubating methods, and sometimes eggs just don't tolerate their trip through the mail system.

Quote:
Well...That was sweet!
big_smile.png

Did you send them the link to the way to check fertility in non-developed eggs (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008)? Because I bet they cracked open the eggs, saw no EMBRYO and decided they were not fertile. I'd be linking to that page and telling them that they were probably wrong about fertility. And when you sell, you should send them a print out of that link or something, with an explanation about shipping and how there's nothing you can do once the eggs are out of your hands. If they arrive unbroken, then you did your job, imo. The handling isn't your fault.

Quote:
Yeah... the fees are gettin' out of hand as well... all I won't to do is make enough to keep my birds in feed and add to the flock as I cull the breeds that I no longer want for next Spring... That's all...
wink.png

I will be painfully honest.... both batches of eggs I got off of EBAY were completely infertile, not the shipping or my hatchrate being the issue, refer to https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008. I didn't go after the guy but that is where the issue lies...most BYCers aren't going to mess over someone but there are ALOT of people out there who will and from my own experience and that of other people I have spoken to EBAY just isn't the place to buy eggs and if you are uneducated in the ways of incubation and the consequences of the only shipping method available then you are going to possibly blame the wrong guy. Bottom line is I would suggest just selling on a site that is dedicated to poultry, such as this one.... they are trying to make our auction better, but if not here there are plenty of sites that are dedicated to poultry auctions.

just some info from experience:....... MOST people do not put "EGGS" on the packages they ship... the PO flat out told me that if it isn't on there then they won't be treated like eggs even though "fragile" is written all over the package. They were telling me that it is 2 different things!

Last edited:
In the six years that I have been hatching shipped eggs (hundreds of them) there was only two times when I felt it was the seller's fault. One of the times I received filthy eggs that were old (when you see dirt ground into the pores of the eggs, you know they have been kicking around awhile) . The other time I received some black and white show quality Silkie eggs that were marked and mixed together in the same package. All of the ones marked black developed while none of the white ones did. Some Silkies have fertility issues and need their vent feathers trimmed. So, there was no blaming that one on X-Rays or the USPS. Then sometimes the yolk ruptures and you literally have a scrambled egg with no sign of a germinal disc at all. There is no way to tell if the eggs were fertile or not.

Back
Top Bottom