I'm candling, but I can't see anything!

nbenevento

Songster
7 Years
Nov 12, 2012
From Southwestern, PA.
I am trying to hatch eggs for the first time as a learning experience for myself and my kids. Since it is my first time, I don't know what the heck I am doing! I have read and read and read some more on incubating, hatching and brooding and it all sounds so easy and straight forward, but I can't find a real answer on why I can't see inside some of the eggs. I have a dozen EE eggs and a dozen Black Australorp eggs. I can see inside some of the eggs but many are almost black except the little air pocket at the end. I candled at 7 days and now 10 days to see what I can see. I am using a small hand held LED flashlight for most of it and it works great on some. Others, not so much. I even tried using a million candle power spotlight through a hole in a box but that didn't help either. Some eggs I can see movement or an eye and some just veins. And some, nothing. I don't want to destroy the whole batch if one explodes so what should I do? How do I know what is going on in there and whether or not I should be getting rid of some of these? HELP!!!

I am in the same boat as you! Exact story about eggs and kids:) I had eggs shipped in, there were rolling air sacks, so I don't have much hope. None of my look like they're developing but I don't know when to give up! What if I'm not looking at them right and break one open and there's a duckling! I think 3 are developing and don't want the others to contaminate them beings I'm on day 10. I think I'll break one open and pray it is clear. Then I'll know if I'm candling correct...best of luck.

They are lightly colored. They are Easter Eggers and are olive, bluish and greenish but none of them are super dark colored eggs by any means. The Australorp eggs are brown eggs and I can see in most of them pretty well. With the warnings of exploding eggs, I was starting to get a little nervous. So, exploding eggs is not as common as the warnings have lead me to believe? I will definitely keep a nose out for a bad odor and if I smell something I will sniff more closely.

Exploding eggs are rare, but they do happen! They usually only happen if the egg was going bad before it was put in the incubator, or if there is some serious bacterial infection going on. Keep your nose sharp, if things start smelling wiffy when you are turning the eggs, then you worry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom