I'm confused by saddle feathers

cockyboy

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
Nova Scotia
Two of the 'pullets' that I have seem to be developing pointed saddle feathers which I've always been led to believe was indicitive of roosters.

I am a total newbie so it's very possible that I'm looking at the wrong feathers. The two chickens in questions are a White Rock and Silver Laced Wyandotte which I purchased when they were about 6 weeks old from a very well known breeder of heritage birds, so I'm assuming they would know what they were doing when I asked for pullets.

Both chickens would be about 20 weeks old now.

Would greatly appreciate if anyone could confirm the sex of both birds.

61372_img_0109.jpg

61372_img_0108.jpg

61372_img_0105.jpg

61372_img_0112.jpg

61372_img_0113.jpg

61372_img_0114.jpg

61372_img_0115.jpg

your pics posted too small for me to see on the white bird. Saddle feathers are long pointy feathers that curve downward. Sometimes they are really thin like a pencil and sometimes they are fatter, but always pointed, longer than other feathers, and curl downward.

On my splash roo ignore the fat feathers hanging down. and look at the really thin long ones. Those are saddle feathers.

19098_mr_splash_2.jpg

on the duckwing roo they are the silvery gold long feathers.

19098_brad_and_the_girls.jpg

On this roo they are the pointy gold red feathers on his rump.

19098_mark_1.jpg

Hope this helps.

Lanae

Still cant tell on the white one but I thinks its a roo. The multi one definately has saddle feathers. Its a boy.

Lanae

The 2nd bird is 100% a male.

The 1st I just can't see his feathers well enough through all the white
hmm.png
Can you hold him & rest his feathers on your hand so we can see.

In the first pic of the white one I can definitely see saddle feathers. Rooster.
With the second bird, there is no doubt, rooster.

roosters
At 6 weeks some breeds are very hard to tell pullets from roosters.
The breeder just made a mistake this time and it happens, to the best of us.
On my wyandottes I cant tell until 9 to 10 weeks of age. Some it take me longer yet.
And a all white breed would be hard to tell until he had comb and wattles showing good or saddle feathers coming in.

Here are some better photos of the White Rock

Thanks for all the replies, certainly looks like I was sold two roos. A sharply worded email will be going to the so called experts that sold me these chickens!!

61372_img_0117.jpg

61372_img_0116.jpg

Back
Top Bottom