I'm disgusted

Quote:
This is what happened to Percy Schmeiser. He's ultimately prevailed and has turned the whole mess into a corporate PR disaster, bless him, but what a battle he has fought, not many have the intestinal fortitude to fight like that.

I understand Monsanto is a corporation that needs to make money, why they persist in trying to conquer the agricultural world via the worst practices makes me wonder if those at the top have any morals at all. They don't care that they're poisoning the world or ruining the genetic code of a myriad of organisms for all time, they just want to make money at any cost.

Quote:
This is the site we all should be supporting http://www.seedsavers.org/

Monsanto
is just like how tobacco was back in the day - had all the data that showed the cancer causing effects of their product but swept it under the rug with the help of gov't agencies. They have known that Round-Up was not safe yet advertised that it was.

They & Dupont are two of the scariest corporations out there.

We can do something about each & everyone of us that grows a garden & raises chickens, are taking a little bit of power away from them. WE affect others - remember that hair shampoo commercial from the seventies? "I told two friends about ______(product name) & they told 2 friend & so on & so one & so on" - We are the ambassadors of the organic movement - Michael Pollan - The Omnivore's Dilemma & Barbara Kingsolver - Animal Vegetable Miracle are both books (recommended by numerous peeps here) are both advocates of the "local/slow" food movement & both have advice on how to go about it.

This whole thing upsets me a lot! I read about some of this happening a few years back, but I hadn't heard much about it since then. I don't have much to add... MissPrissy has said most everything for me!

This is not directly related to the topic, but it is related to Monsanto and one of its products.
While in college I worked in the weeds lab - we did studies on herbicide resistance in plants. In Ohio (I'm sure it is the same elsewhere, but we only studied Ohio) there are certain weeds that have grown immune or have a very high tolerance for Round Up. So, they are effectively making weeds that cannot be controlled. With them pushing their Round-Up Ready seed, they're also pushing the chemical and creating a larger problem.

Quote:
Here's the problem. You can not control what your neighbor, the wind, bees, or any other animal does. Where do they have the right to bother the farmer down the road that didn't buy their product and only ended up with it due to an act of nature? The farmer probably didn't know he had it either!

Monsanto is to big for their britches. Going farm to farm and bullying the farmers is horrible. Even if with proof that, that farmer had bought their seed and it was corn, hay, etc. seed from those resulting plants that were being cleaned there is no excuse for bullying behavior. They have the courts on their side so why not do it through the legal channels?

Quote:
The farmers probably don't want the patented gene contaminating their crops anymore than Monsanto wants them to have it. Maybe it's time for the farmers to sue Monsanto for not keeping their gene on their property.

Covenant if you check out Reinbeau's link - Percy did.....

In an out of court settlement finalized on March 19, 2008, Percy Schmeiser has settled his lawsuit with Monsanto. Monsanto has agreed to pay all the clean-up costs of the Roundup Ready canola that contaminated Schmeiser's fields. Also part of the agreement was that there was no gag-order on the settlement and that Monsanto could be sued again if further contamination occurred. Schmeiser believes this precedent setting agreement ensures that farmers will be entitled to reimbursement when their fields become contaminated with unwanted Roundup Ready canola or any other unwanted GMO plants.

Only that was in Canada & the US has yet to do it.......​

Quote:
Debi read the article slowly after a cup of coffee. LOL

Monsanto holds the patent on a gene that has been found in people's corn who have nothing at all to do with monsanto. The wind did it. The courts are giving Monsanto the power to make that farmer dump his crop and not make one penny on it.

The farmers need to go on offense not defense. Instead of waiting for Monsanto to sue them for having a crop that accidentally includes the patented gene, the farmer needs to sue Monsanto for ruining his crop with the gene.

Monsanto's defense against the ruined crop will be the wind did it and they had no control over where the gene ended up. Once admitted then they won't have a leg to stand on against those that did not enter into agreement with.

Monsanto is pure evil, on a corporate level.

Quote:
This is what happened to Percy Schmeiser. He's ultimately prevailed and has turned the whole mess into a corporate PR disaster, bless him, but what a battle he has fought, not many have the intestinal fortitude to fight like that.

I understand Monsanto is a corporation that needs to make money, why they persist in trying to conquer the agricultural world via the worst practices makes me wonder if those at the top have any morals at all. They don't care that they're poisoning the world or ruining the genetic code of a myriad of organisms for all time, they just want to make money at any cost.

This whole thing is backwards. If Monsanto's frankenfood pollen gets into a farmer's crop, the farmer should be eligible for damages from Monsanto! They have now polluted his crops against his will, so they should have to pay for the contamination.

Too bad most of the legislators and judges are owned.

Quote:
Exactly! I didn't see your response before I submitted mine, and I agree completely! If they want to grow this garbage, they should have to completely enclose their fields such that the pollen cannot get out and contaminate other fields. That'll fix their wagon.

Fractal Farmer said:
This whole thing is backwards. If Monsanto's frankenfood pollen gets into a farmer's crop, the farmer should be eligible for damages from Monsanto! They have now polluted his crops against his will, so they should have to pay for the contamination.

Too bad most of the legislators and judges are owned.

EXACTLY!!!! Well said. Until we stop allowing corporations the same or BETTER rights than people possess, this sort of thing will proliferate.

Will our children's children know a world in which they're not plugged into some power tower to be used by some large indomitable entity??? ....think Neo is in the "wake up" scene in the Matrix movie???

Back
Top Bottom