I'm growing a lemon 🍋 tree🌳! do y'all want updates?

Should I update y'all on my lemon plant progress?

• Yes!

Votes: 34 94.4%
  • no thanks

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
I started a grapefruit seed about ten years ago. Once it got too big for me to deal with I gave it to my brother who lives in AZ. This is the first year it produced fruit.
My citrus trees didn't produce for the first three years. They are a good 9 or 10 feet tall right now and produce fairly well. Depends on the "wild" animals. Same with my brown turkey fig tree.

My citrus trees didn't produce for the first three years. They are a good 9 or 10 feet tall right now and produce fairly well. Depends on the "wild" animals. Same with my brown turkey fig tree.
I assume that you planted grafted trees. This was started from a seed so there was no way to tell what the fruit would turn out like. The tree almost died during a drought when it was about 3 but finally is producing fruit this year. I have not heard how the fruit did yet.

I grew several avocado and mango trees from seeds this year. Both types have grown into nice, leafy plants. I also have quite a stash of lemon and grapefruit seeds that I've saved to sprout later.

Even if there's no fruit from the trees in the future, they're still nice-looking plants (and produce oxygen) and it's kind of addictive...pineapple may be next!

Good luck to anyone thinking about trying it - it's easy and fun.

Has anyone ever considered using a small citrus tree in there run or near it for shade?

Mine are in large pots and shaping them into a bonsai. I periodically prune some branches. I've noticed they grow like weeds with fresh chicken poop on top of the soil.
I have 2 mayer lemon trees and 1 blood orange tree in my chicken yard. All are roughly 9 feet tall, but have some sap suckers left in place, making them bush like at the bottom, so hens have more hiding space. They will also get into the trees, like roosts or jungle Jims. :lau :lau

I put a bunch of acorns in a zip loc bag a couple of years ago. They have been sitting on the kitchen counter all this time. Something didn't look right about the bag today so I checked them out. They are germinating. I stuck one in a pot to see what happens.

I always thought acorns had to go through the freeze cycle to germinate. These have never gone through a freeze cycle.

I put a bunch of acorns in a zip loc bag a couple of years ago. They have been sitting on the kitchen counter all this time. Something didn't look right about the bag today so I checked them out. They are germinating. I stuck one in a pot to see what happens.

I always thought acorns had to go through the freeze cycle to germinate. These have never gone through a freeze cycle.
Good to know! I guess I'd better keep an eye on the bag of acorns I've been adding to over the past couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom