I'M HOOKED

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

In the 2 pictures below, Isabella (Brown Leghorn) and Roxanne (Barred Plymouth Rock) both have a noticeable comb. Izzy already has very nice tail-feathers, whereas Roxi is just starting to grow her tail-feathers. Are these distinctions another way(s) to determine their sex?

The feathering can be an unreliable way to tell gender, though it works well for many breeds and even mongrels.

However comb development is far more reliable. Some people never learn to discern gender traits in chicks, others pick it up like a duck takes to water. With my own flock, which is overall fairly precocious despite being (or perhaps because of being) very genetically mixed mongrels, I can sex them reliably within their first few days, sometimes even before they're fully out of the egg, in almost all cases.

As you gain experience over the years you will probably be able to sex them younger and younger, provided they're developmentally forward enough. Some breeds like American Silkies and Brahmas are notoriously backwards and slow to show any gender traits for the most part.

Hatchery chooks are also often very backwards and developmentally retarded. Also some family lines, some breeds, and some individuals within any given family line or breed will go against the flow and be faster or slower than their peers, as it goes.

However, as I noted before, your black and white one has too much comb for a female this age. In comparison, many 6 week old females do not have equivalent comb development. The fact that the individual spikes or tines of the comb are swollen and large is a giveaway sign. Notice the other straight/single-comb chicks have minute, tapering spikes in comparison to the one in the middle of this next pic:

The pic below, as well as the first pic I commented on in my previous post, show the comb development sharply. Left-most chick in the pic below has overly large tines on its comb. It's either a male or a pullet with a lot of male hormones. Some layer breeds are apparently quite high in those, though. But my money is on it being a male.

Best wishes.

welcome-byc.gif

Your chicks are so cute. Everyday raising them will be exciting and surprising. We also got 6 chicks 19 months ago, started out with a brooder box like yours. They grew so fast, we had to get something larger in only a couple of weeks. You may not, but just be thinking about how to expand if you have to.

Welcome to the group.

They are growing so fast!. Right now I have them in the back bedroom in the storage tote. I've gotten them out the last couple of evenings for a bit. I spread an old blanket down, put their water to the side, and sprinkle some of their feed around. Then I just lay down on the edge of it and enjoy the 'show'. It's awesome to watch them scratch a couple of times, back up a step, and then look down and take a bite, run around, jump around, jump on each other, stretch etc. Last night when I let them out on the blanket, I crumbled up a few mealworms and sprinkled it in with their feed. It was like...peck-peck-peck..."what is this?" "CANDY!!! He gave us some CANDY!"

As far as their brooder is concerned, I got a large box from our shipping department that I am moving them into this weekend in our garage. It is 3 1/2 feet wide and 7 feet long. I plan to put pine shavings in about 2/3 of it, a couple of pieces of grass sod for hunting & scratching, and a little dirt for them to dust in. Any other ideas?

Jeff

chooks4life - Thanks for the info. I did notice their combs was hoping that it was indicative of the individual breed(s). Roxanne (or Roxi for short) may turn out to be called Rocky instead. Isabell may become Ozzy. I will definitely be watching them as they grow.

Jeff

They are growing so fast!. Right now I have them in the back bedroom in the storage tote. I've gotten them out the last couple of evenings for a bit. I spread an old blanket down, put their water to the side, and sprinkle some of their feed around. Then I just lay down on the edge of it and enjoy the 'show'. It's awesome to watch them scratch a couple of times, back up a step, and then look down and take a bite, run around, jump around, jump on each other, stretch etc. Last night when I let them out on the blanket, I crumbled up a few mealworms and sprinkled it in with their feed. It was like...peck-peck-peck..."what is this?" "CANDY!!! He gave us some CANDY!"

As far as their brooder is concerned, I got a large box from our shipping department that I am moving them into this weekend in our garage. It is 3 1/2 feet wide and 7 feet long. I plan to put pine shavings in about 2/3 of it, a couple of pieces of grass sod for hunting & scratching, and a little dirt for them to dust in. Any other ideas?

Jeff
Sounds like a good plan…I wasn't smart enough to plan ahead and we made an emergency shopping trip when ours were 2 weeks old and bought a pricey stock tank.

Dried mealy worms! They love them. Our flock of 6 would do food runs at a little over a week with them. When they are 2 weeks old, offer them whole and watch the fun.
Since yours will have access to grass and mealy worms, you should get some chick grit and mix some in their feed. They will need it if eating anything other than starter crumbles.
When they are a few weeks old, try a "baby cakes" in their brooder, ours loved it. Got it at Tractor's supply, a forage treat for baby chicks you hang in the brooder.

I plan to put pine shavings in about 2/3 of it, a couple of pieces of grass sod for hunting & scratching, and a little dirt for them to dust in. Any other ideas?

They do best with exposure to sunlight from as early an age onwards as possible. Contact with the soil is very beneficial too, helps build their immune systems. The sooner you can get them an outside pen the better.... But I say that not knowing what the ambient temperatures are at your place. The best chooks, healthwise, are always those raised freerange, in my opinion and experience.

chooks4life - Thanks for the info. I did notice their combs was hoping that it was indicative of the individual breed(s). Roxanne (or Roxi for short) may turn out to be called Rocky instead. Isabell may become Ozzy. I will definitely be watching them as they grow.

Good thing you've picked alternative names. ;) Too much comb for that age, no matter the breed, I reckon.

Best wishes.

What can I say...other than I'm hooked. I ordered 6 chicks in early August and got them in 2 weeks ago (9/5). I was almost a 'basket case' until they got here, but all 6 arrived alive and well. From the moment I opened the box I knew.....it's ON! And to be honest, it started even before that. I already had names picked out for most of them but I was almost ashamed to admit that to my wife and grown sons. Yes, grown sons.....cause I'm 52. But we have always been 'pet' people...dogs, cats, a few mice, iguana, love bird, parrot. But to have and name chickens...? Now I don't care...cause I'm hooked!

We just recently moved (3 months ago) from a country suburb subdivision to our new place in the country with 2.5 acres. The place is fenced around the perimeter with the house, a barn, and plenty of space for a garden and whatever else we like. My grandparents lived in the country and had a farm with all kinds of animals, so as a kid, I got to experience a little of it too. So I thought, what better to do than get a few chickens to have fresh eggs. So that's where I am right now...raising my chicks and hooked on it.

Here's a few pictures of my girls (girls-I hope).

Jeff
HI Jeff!!!!

SO happy to see you are so excited about your chickens!!! I am new to chicken owning too!! I got my girls the same day you did!!!! Glad to know we will be able to bounce ideas off of eachother / share the same stages of development! how are they doing? mine are fiesty!! <3 I am assuming you ordered straight-run because you don't know the sex of them? Were not allowed to have roos in my town so I got all girls... (lets hope they actually are girls!!! hehehe) Well, glad you joined! Look forward to chatting with you!

They do best with exposure to sunlight from as early an age onwards as possible. Contact with the soil is very beneficial too, helps build their immune systems. The sooner you can get them an outside pen the better.... But I say that not knowing what the ambient temperatures are at your place. The best chooks, healthwise, are always those raised freerange, in my opinion and experience.

Good thing you've picked alternative names. ;) Too much comb for that age, no matter the breed, I reckon.

Best wishes.
chooks4life - More great points. In addition to moving them to a larger home this weekend, I'm also planning to add some temporary fencing around our back flower bed. Then I can let them outside when we are home and can watch for a little bit at a time. I'm in Mississippi so the daytime temps will be in the 80's & low 90's.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom