I'm I over feeding 4 week old chicks.

Waldorbigbill

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Every where I read it said just keep their food bowl full at all times. But I have 13 mix 4 week old baby chicks. they are down to 1/4 of a 50 lb bag of food left in about a month. I know a lot gets wasted with them making a mess and all but I keep the food dish up where they cant scratch in it. Does this sound like they are getting to much or is that about right?

Unless you have meat chickens they won't over eat. They are just growing, and yes they waste tons of it.
smile.png

don't forget - when starter food gets powdery you can add water, mix and stir to make a mush the chicks love it,.....hope this helps and it really does a lot for " not wasting any food '.....G my one month olds love this also...

welcome-byc.gif

I use the long red feeders sold at Atwoods and Tsc for $2-4 each in my brooder and I have very little waste. The trick is to raise there food as they grow. This keeps them from spilling the feed when they shake there head while eating. I also have my feeders on a 4x4 piece or wood when they are around 5-6 weeks. I keep the water in 2x4s. I have raised over 150 chicks and about 30 or so ducks this way.

I have on average 30-70 day olds in my 4x10 brooder and I have 2 red feeders and 2 (1) gallon waterers. I fill the feed daily and fill the water when it needs it. I also use 2 100 watt light bulbs 1 on each end for heat.

Chicks can eat a lot but you can control the waste. Try using a covered feeder to keep them from "bathing" in it or flinging it everywhere.

Keep them growing and we all love to see pictures.

Nate

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom