I'm in need of help...

lovesbabies

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2016
New York
Hello everyone. My name is Crystal. I am new to hatching. I have a baby duck that has taken 2 days to work its way out of the shell. At this point I'm not sure what to do. It almost looks like it has a protruding bellybutton. I'm afraid to try to remove the shell the rest of the way as I'm not sure if the membrane is connected to the egg. Can anyone please give me some advice???

Hello everyone. My name is Crystal. I am new to hatching. I have a baby duck that has taken 2 days to work its way out of the shell. At this point I'm not sure what to do. It almost looks like it has a protruding bellybutton. I'm afraid to try to remove the shell the rest of the way as I'm not sure if the membrane is connected to the egg. Can anyone please give me some advice???

Let the duckling work itself out of the rest of the shell. Take a slft cloth and place in a small bowl place the duckling inside the bowl this will keep the duckling from catching the attached shell on something and pulling it off before it's ready. Once the membrane dries up and the shell falls off take it out of the bowl then apply some iodine to the belly hopefully the yolk sac will adsorb quickly once the membrane dries and falls off. It can take ducklings up to 48 hrs to hatch they take their own sweet time about it.

Let the duckling work itself out of the rest of the shell. Take a slft cloth and place in a small bowl place the duckling inside the bowl this will keep the duckling from catching the attached shell on something and pulling it off before it's ready. Once the membrane dries up and the shell falls off take it out of the bowl then apply some iodine to the belly hopefully the yolk sac will adsorb quickly once the membrane dries and falls off. It can take ducklings up to 48 hrs to hatch they take their own sweet time about it.

Thank you for your advice. This baby has came out the rest of the way. After I put iodine on it do I cover it up at all or try to keep it dry? Also do I keep it in the incubator or move it to a warm dry place? Thanks again for your help. I've cried many tears over this little one.

Welcome to Backyard chickens lovesbabies! I hope you enjoy this website, I have had a ton of fun on here! I am glad your little baby finally hatched and I hope he will be able to have a nice life!

Welcome to Backyard chickens lovesbabies! I hope you enjoy this website, I have had a ton of fun on here! I am glad your little baby finally hatched and I hope he will be able to have a nice life!

Thank you so much! This baby seems to be a fighter. It will be one spoiled duck.
263a.png

Thank you for your advice. This baby has came out the rest of the way. After I put iodine on it do I cover it up at all or try to keep it dry? Also do I keep it in the incubator or move it to a warm dry place? Thanks again for your help. I've cried many tears over this little one.
Sorry I am just getting back here How is the duckling doing now? @lovesbabies . Hows the belly look now?

I am so sorry to hear this..:hugs I hope this  lil one wasn't your only egg. 

I did have other eggs however they didn't make it as far as this baby. I'm very unsure as to why because I have also incubated chicken eggs and they were just fine. I plan on giving it a go again sometime. I just need a little time as I have a very soft heart... Thank you so much for your time
263a.png

I did have other eggs however they didn't make it as far as this baby. I'm very unsure as to why because I have also incubated chicken eggs and they were just fine. I plan on giving it a go again sometime. I just need a little time as I have a very soft heart... Thank you so much for your time
263a.png
From all I have read it's alot more difficult to hatch ducklings. One reason I let my ducks do it if we want ducklings.. Next time you try we'll get you set up with one of our experienced hatchers who can answer any questions.. and hopefully you'll have success next time around. And hopefully avoid heart break.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom