I'm interested in getting rabbits ---- Edit: Just caught a dumped Bunny!!!

About a month ago, I thought a rabbit was the laziest pet ever. I imagined a rabbit sitting inside the house, in a hutch, eating, pooping, sleeping, repeating.
I then read a thread on outdoor rabbits, and my vision of them changed completely.
I'm now actually interested in having pastured rabbits. They would be outdoor in a mobile tractor so we could move them around to eat the dandelions/weeds, and use the manure in the litter box for the garden. Then, I would love to get valuable breeds so I could breed them, and sell them to people who show them. We have lots of people who show there rabbits in the fair near me, so selling them probably wouldn't be to hard.
So what do I need to know. My mom is pretty convinced, my dad on the other hand, will probably turn it down instantly. I'll have to work on wording it correctly.
My questions are-
  • For winter, could I put them in with the chickens so they could sleep in the warm coop? I would have to warm them up to each other of course, but could it work?
  • What does the pen need to be like? What are the requirements for a safe outdoor hutch? Is it kinda like the same setup as a chicken run/coop?
  • I've heard that feed consists of hay, pellets, and one more thing, though I can't remember exactly what is was. Alfalfa is a big part of the diet right?
  • What can they not eat? I know that carrots, vegetables, fruit, aren't good, but any weeds I should be aware of?
Everything else I need to know! Haha! I know they need lots of toys to shave down their teeth, and enrichment, but beyond that I don't know very much. :D
Thanks guys for any advice, ideas on how to convince my dad are welcome to! :lol:
Rabbits are great pets and helping in fertilizing the yard. There friendly, cuddle, and just plain cute. Also either get a doe(female)rabbit or a buck(male)rabbit but don't get a pair cause you'll have rabbits upon rabbits lol also if you do get a pair put them into separate hutches so you won't have poof baby bunnies everywhere unless you gonna raise them for meat. Also a doe can get prego again after she gives birth. Also I do recommend in desexing the bucks so they be a friendlier bunny. With them hanging out with the chickens ya they'll be totally fine I've got 3 hanging with my bunny right now and they get along fine. As for during the winter I would put a heat lamp in there or alot of straw bedding so they can nest in it during the winter. The food I would recommend food that is made for rabbits (Purina)and alfalfa hay and green grass especially clover they love that. You can feed them also certain fruits like apples, strawberries, bananas. As for the weeds you can look it up on Google to see which weeds are rabbit safe and which ant.

I was just looking on the Kalmbach website. Thats a brand I really like, as its All natural and has Non-GMO/Organic options.
They do have some rabbit feeds, but instead of grass pellets, it a "rabbit feed". Would that be a good option for the Natraul factor, or are grass pellets better? https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/product/rabbit-feed/ If you hit, "Additional information", it has the nutrition label that shows protein and fiber.

I was just looking on the Kalmbach website. Thats a brand I really like, as its All natural and has Non-GMO/Organic options.
They do have some rabbit feeds, but instead of grass pellets, it a "rabbit feed". Would that be a good option for the Natraul factor, or are grass pellets better? https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/product/rabbit-feed/ If you hit, "Additional information", it has the nutrition label that shows protein and fiber.
I mean if you like that type of brand and you trust it than go for it. Kinda like I trust the Purina brand or Dumor. So also go with your gut feeling.

Just thought I’d do a little show and tell. Here’s my bunnies!

90479590-3042-4DF9-B927-761AB80F64AE.jpeg

Here’s the ripped ear. Never will be the same. But can’t separate them now, will cause stress.
They’re inseparable and don’t fight anymlre
67AFFB96-34A9-479B-93CF-89310BF4E8DA.jpeg

2DF1C587-8817-4CB4-AD92-A1C15231FB2B.jpeg

183CB19F-EB05-4A76-8D1F-9051A5283EC7.jpeg
AFBE8B73-3B54-4AC0-A644-2C6E062D9841.jpeg

Here’s our trip. All three are bonded. Our buck is neutered.
1831F750-9185-4403-9C8A-20C0939E20F5.jpeg
99EF4C91-2E6F-487D-B48C-0A81742F16DB.jpeg

View attachment 2673134

Here’s the ripped ear. Never will be the same. But can’t separate them now, will cause stress.
View attachment 2673135

View attachment 2673136

View attachment 2673137View attachment 2673138
View attachment 2673140View attachment 2673141
OH MY GOODNESS!
I need bunnies! There SO CUTE!!!! I love them to death!
Grey guy laying on the carpet is my favorite! 😍🥰

View attachment 2673134

View attachment 2673135

View attachment 2673136

View attachment 2673137View attachment 2673138
View attachment 2673140View attachment 2673141
Awww how adorable I've got a spotted new zeland doe that is almost 3 months old

Yep that looks like a great feed! Good nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom