Pics

pitbullmomma

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 30, 2017
...unapologetic Jersey Girl...
My Coop
My Coop
I'm dying for my first-ever egg. My first batch of pullets are 22 weeks--3 silkies, a Mille Fleur d'Uccle, and a bantam cochin. My second batch are two 20 week Ayam Cemanis and a younger stunted one.

No eggs as of yet, although my cochin has had the reddest, plumpest comb ever, red wattles, and is eating the oyster shell I put out for my girls. I have fake eggs in the coop. Every day I run out excitedly looking for eggs, I get an adrenaline burst when I see that fake egg cuz it looks so real! and nothing.

I want an egg!

Yes... @sourland

Cochins and Silkies will take longer to lay...and lay maybe 2 eggs, then decide to sit on them to brood. Also, if you have bantam Cochin too, Silkies and bantam Cochins won't lay the full size eggs you see in the grocery stores. They have smaller, maybe half size to 3/4 size.

You won't be getting lots of eggs from these breeds.

If you want eggs....you'll need to purchase Red Sex Links or even the Black Sex Links. They mature quickly, are sexed at hatch by down color, and lay lots of eggs.

Hopefully somebody will lay soon.

I've noticed they start checking out nest boxes 2-3weeks before laying..
My gold laced Cochin bantam gave me 5 med eggs a week until a dog got her... ( my sisters dog ).
Now I have a Serama Silkie mix giving me 5 small a week . Her name is Tribble. So don't give up on bantams.

Attachments

• IMG_20170929_075837.jpg
    IMG_20170929_075837.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 45
Well, the breeds you have selected are more 'lawn ornaments' than production birds, but they will eventually lay = and then immediately go broody. :oops:

Lawn ornaments! You hurt me, sour! ;)

I do have an Easter Egger and a Favacauna, but they are too young yet--only 10 weeks.

I heard bantam cochin eggs are fairly good-sized for a bantam, though--is that right? She's kind of a big chicken.

I've noticed they start checking out nest boxes 2-3weeks before laying..
My gold laced Cochin bantam gave me 5 med eggs a week until a dog got her... ( my sisters dog ).
Now I have a Serama Silkie mix giving me 5 small a week . Her name is Tribble. So don't give up on bantams.

"5 small"--lol, that cracked me up! I love the name Tribble, I bet she looks like one!

Back
Top Bottom