IMG_0630.JPG
Watched pots and watched hens....:barnie

Just sayin.

LofMc
That's what I was thinking too. But today, Nov 14, My 29 wk old Dark Brown Leghorn (Iris) laid her first egg and my first egg in my back yard 2 hen project. Poor Iris has suffered several stressful situations, losing her sis then her replacement "friend", a silver laced Wyandotte (Dottie) that she immediately took too and very protective of. Out of the blue "Dottie" the Wyandotte died of cocci. Iris was devastated to say the least. The 3rd "hen" (olive egger named Rusty) turned out to be an abusive roo n I exchanged him for his very docile mother Hazel, (Americauna) and Iris accepted her n calmed down. All the stress may have delayed egg laying for Iris. Although she eats treats from my hand Iris has never allowed me to pick her up. Last week she got louder with her chick noises, follows me n squating when I get close allowing me to pick up n hold Last night when I went to lock the coop she was destroying the nest boxes pulling all the pine shavings out to roosting area. Today was her first beautiful egg laying in the moved shavings. She's following me with more squating. I'm a happy mama!!

View attachment 1186849
That's what I was thinking too. But today, Nov 14, My 29 wk old Dark Brown Leghorn (Iris) laid her first egg and my first egg in my back yard 2 hen project. Poor Iris has suffered several stressful situations, losing her sis then her replacement "friend", a silver laced Wyandotte (Dottie) that she immediately took too and very protective of. Out of the blue "Dottie" the Wyandotte died of cocci. Iris was devastated to say the least. The 3rd "hen" (olive egger named Rusty) turned out to be an abusive roo n I exchanged him for his very docile mother Hazel, (Americauna) and Iris accepted her n calmed down. All the stress may have delayed egg laying for Iris. Although she eats treats from my hand Iris has never allowed me to pick her up. Last week she got louder with her chick noises, follows me n squating when I get close allowing me to pick up n hold Last night when I went to lock the coop she was destroying the nest boxes pulling all the pine shavings out to roosting area. Today was her first beautiful egg laying in the moved shavings. She's following me with more squating. I'm a happy mama!!

Yes, she had a lot of stress, for a young little thing, but congrats on such a pretty little egg! And hello Eagle Point, from Oakridge!

Aww surely you'll get one nice fella out of those. Good that they're bantams if they get out of hand you can just stick them in a shoe box or something. Mr.Cletus wasn't mean he just wanted attention and if i wasn't fast enough i got bit. He was just way too big for me to deal with him and his demands. He was a cute little chick, always did look a little like a buzzard though. :)
View attachment 1186709 View attachment 1186710 View attachment 1186711

This reminds me of my lone incubated hatch chick Eve. She is 24 days old and huge. She is quite homely with her very long legs, huge wings and long neck. My folks keep saying she looks like a dinosaur. I use fake dinosaur eggs in the nest boxes (plastic eggs with tiny dino's in it) I tell her she's pretty, but she isn't. She is the lone offspring of Cocoa the (chicken soup EE) and barred rock mom. Poor thing -- I just woke her up to take pics.
20171114_214833.jpg
20171114_214948.jpg

I think EE roosters are probably fine if you only have one rooster, maybe 2 if they each have a large flock of hens to themselves. Mine were absolutely sweet for a while after they got hormonal, but the longer they went without getting any girlie favors, the more freaky they got. My other roo simply would not let them comingle with the girls, but in the rare instance they did they would be sweet again. Eve is the result of a rare sneak attack lol.

Speaking of a ball with legs. These are not mine, but a lady I met. And these two lavender balls of fur cracked me up. This is her video, but I so wish I would have taken my own.

Even that little fru-fru rooster of mine chases stuff out of the yard, he has to take breaks since he's pretty much a ball with legs but he does try. I was going to say i did have one EE roo that was good when I was a kid, but he did end up trapping my mom on the back porch...so nope didn't have a good one. :lau

I like Eve she's different, she is a big lanky girl though. I told Cletus he was handsome too,better than the truth which was i pulled him out of the egg bowl to even out the incubator and ended up hatching a Frankenstein roo. I'm starting the day out good again, talked to some Jehovah's witnesses "very old ones" with the first three buttons of my nightgown undone. Hubs pointed it out,so either they're not ever coming back or they're pitching a tent in the yard. :lau
This reminds me of my lone incubated hatch chick Eve. She is 24 days old and huge. She is quite homely with her very long legs, huge wings and long neck. My folks keep saying she looks like a dinosaur. I use fake dinosaur eggs in the nest boxes (plastic eggs with tiny dino's in it) I tell her she's pretty, but she isn't. She is the lone offspring of Cocoa the (chicken soup EE) and barred rock mom. Poor thing -- I just woke her up to take pics. View attachment 1187131 View attachment 1187132
I think EE roosters are probably fine if you only have one rooster, maybe 2 if they each have a large flock of hens to themselves. Mine were absolutely sweet for a while after they got hormonal, but the longer they went without getting any girlie favors, the more freaky they got. My other roo simply would not let them comingle with the girls, but in the rare instance they did they would be sweet again. Eve is the result of a rare sneak attack lol.

I like Eve she's different, she is a big lanky girl though. I told Cletus he was handsome too,better than the truth which was i pulled him out of the egg bowl to even out the incubator and ended up hatching a Frankenstein roo. I'm starting the day out good again, talked to some Jehovah's witnesses "very old ones" with the first three buttons of my nightgown undone. Hubs pointed it out,so either they're not ever coming back or they're pitching a tent in the yard. :lau

Buhahaha!!! They're coming back, for sure!

View attachment 1186849
Congrats on your new layer! Hopefully she lays IN the nest next time. Mine like to take all the straw out of our boxes and leave a nice hole so they're laying right on plywood. SMH.

This reminds me of my lone incubated hatch chick Eve. She is 24 days old and huge. She is quite homely with her very long legs, huge wings and long neck. My folks keep saying she looks like a dinosaur. I use fake dinosaur eggs in the nest boxes (plastic eggs with tiny dino's in it) I tell her she's pretty, but she isn't. She is the lone offspring of Cocoa the (chicken soup EE) and barred rock mom. Poor thing -- I just woke her up to take pics. View attachment 1187131 View attachment 1187132
I had several ugly chicks.. they grew out of it and they're all pretty now. I was pleasantly surprised when they got older that some of them had big changes to their appearances.

They're probably going to tell all their friends about you too.

Back
Top Bottom