I'm new here & new to being a chicken mistress 😁 lol. I have a question about roos. I hope I'm posting in rite place ??

Thx every1 for all the help. U all help put my mind at rest 🙂 we will try a bachelor pad & we will build a little pen & coop for missy & the eggs. Should we move them b4 the eggs hatch or wait til after they hatch ??
Better wait until they hatched, but keep the cockerels away so they will not be able to disturb her.

If you move her and the nest now, she might not want to continue.

we will try a bachelor pad & we will build a little pen & coop for missy & the eggs. Should we move them b4 the eggs hatch or wait til after they hatch ??

If you can move the roosters out before the eggs hatch, and leave Missy where she is, that would probably be best.

If you have to move Missy and the eggs or chicks, wait until after they hatch.

It is possible to have multiple roosters (you currently have cockerels), but it does help if you have a LOT of space. You will read about the rooster to hen ratio. Truly, there is no magic number. Some setups work well with breeding pairs or trios, others can have 1 rooster to 20 hens and still have one or two that are overbred and barebacked. I would separate all three of those boys or they will wear your hen to a frazzle once she's off those eggs. To show dominance, they will breed her, one after the other. She will not be able to eat, drink or dustbathe in peace. A bachelor coop would be helpful. If your eggs hatch, you need to be prepared for even more males. That has been addressed above, so I won't go into it.

Do you know how big (in feet by feet) your coop is? Coops that are advertised to hold a certain amount of chickens are often grossly exaggerated. Especially if it's a little prefab coop. Then you run into the trouble of bad habits that happen when chickens are over crowded. They will fight, pick feathers, sometimes end up cannibalizing a wounded one.

If you can move the roosters out before the eggs hatch, and leave Missy where she is, that would probably be best.

If you have to move Missy and the eggs or chicks, wait until after they hatch.
Oh that's great. I'm glad she can stay in coop. We will get a brooder coop ready for next batch of eggs. She can move rite in there 🙂 thx

It would be a good idea to put things in the "bachelor pad" that they can hide or tuck away into. This will allow any roo that comes under fire to have a means to get out of the sight/ reach of the aggressor. There's quite a few articles to give you some ideas for this on here. Logs, upside- down bins with an access hole in the sides, small lean-tos or wooden teepees, etc.

It is possible to have multiple roosters (you currently have cockerels), but it does help if you have a LOT of space. You will read about the rooster to hen ratio. Truly, there is no magic number. Some setups work well with breeding pairs or trios, others can have 1 rooster to 20 hens and still have one or two that are overbred and barebacked. I would separate all three of those boys or they will wear your hen to a frazzle once she's off those eggs. To show dominance, they will breed her, one after the other. She will not be able to eat, drink or dustbathe in peace. A bachelor coop would be helpful. If your eggs hatch, you need to be prepared for even more males. That has been addressed above, so I won't go into it.

Do you know how big (in feet by feet) your coop is? Coops that are advertised to hold a certain amount of chickens are often grossly exaggerated. Especially if it's a little prefab coop. Then you run into the trouble of bad habits that happen when chickens are over crowded. They will fight, pick feathers, sometimes end up cannibalizing a wounded one.
Yes I've read about that. 😔 A friend (Carpenter) made the coop for us. It's about 4-5 f by 4-5 f. They r free range on about 2-3 acres so lots of room in daytime.

It would be a good idea to put things in the "bachelor pad" that they can hide or tuck away into. This will allow any roo that comes under fire to have a means to get out of the sight/ reach of the aggressor. There's quite a few articles to give you some ideas for this on here. Logs, upside- down bins with an access hole in the sides, small lean-tos or wooden teepees, etc.
Great ideas. 🙂 Thx. I think I might re do my small green house into a bach. Pad. 😔 It's about same size as missy's coop. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom