I'm new here!

Dawn4127

Chirping
May 16, 2015
Mojave, CA
Good Morning (or Evening)..
I've been reading the pages regarding sicknesses and such and thought it was time to get off my nest and be a part of this community.

Background: hubby and I had chickens years ago and just never got into them much. I mean they were something you had to feed and gather eggs but other than that, no big deal. We've gotten older. We've started caring a bunch about all sorts of animals and actually take part in a rescue (for Land Hermit Crabs) and also help lost and found pets in our area find either their rightful owner or new owners. I feel strongly for all animals. I can't even kill the spiders in my bathroom because they're related to our hermit crab babies..

So, anyway. Now we've gotten back into chickens because we love having them, eggs are better from them, and well, it's time. We got 10 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Dominiques several weeks ago and lost two RIR's to unknown causes. We chalked it up to "unknown causes" and then three weeks after getting those, we got 12 more and lost two more of those.

Meanwhile, when the first batch went into the chicken coop, the second batch was in the cage inside with one we were sure had a broken leg. We put a splint on it but now she has wry neck.

That brought me to your board. We're prepared to work through the wry neck better than we have starting tomorrow but she's a fighter and I think we're up to it.

Dawn and Dexter

Glad you've decided to get off your nest, lol. Sorry your venture back into chickens has not been entirely smooth - but you have definitely found the right place to help you get over the occasional bumps in the road. I hope you are successful in helping your little one.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you decided to join us.

So sorry about your loses and current and about your current problem. Hope she recovers.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear your about your losses and your current wry neck situation. I've had a case of this in one of my polish and it was quite an event for me. I got him through the first bout of it but it returned an I unfortunatly had to cull him. A very difficult decision but it was in the best interests of the bird. Here is an article on wry neck, I hope you find it usefull > https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wry-neck-causes-treatment-and-prevention

Wishing you the very best of luck with your wry neck girl I hope you get her back to full health very soon.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello Dawn and Dexter!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow
So sorry to hear about your losse. May you be able to help your girl. I've never dealt with wavy neck. But it sound, as if you have it under control. :thumbsup Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom