I'm ordering my first chicks- should they all be the same breed?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JanetR, May 12, 2011.

1. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    Hi everyone- This is my first post. I've been dreaming of raising chickens for a few years and now I'm really going to do it! I'm building the coop and I'm ready to order chicks from the local farm supply store. I want to start with six, my dilemma is I like 3 breeds- Araucana, Black Australorp and Buff Brahmas. Is it ok to get 2 of each? Or should I stick to one breed?

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Get two of each! better yet, pick six breeds and get one of each! none of my gals are the same breed [​IMG] If you love the three different breeds just go for it or else you will just end up going back and getting them anyway, lol.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I've got a good mix too.

4. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I agree 1000 billion percent! Ha ha! Unless you are planning on breeding them. But if you're just going for a backyard flock to raise as pets and for eggs, go with the variety! They are so fun to watch, plus you'll be able to tell them apart a lot easier.

Enjoy! And, [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

All my first chicks were different breeds, because if I got all Rhode Island Reds, for example, then I was afraid I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. It would be like this, every morning: "Good morning, Rhoda!" "How are YOU this morning, Rhoda?" "Hey, pretty Rhoda, how are you today?" "'Mornin', Rhoda!" "Rhoda, how are YOU today?" etc.

I knew I would name 'em. I didn't know I WOULD be able to tell them apart until I got my first duplicates of the same breed, about 10 chickens into this venture.

I love a mixed flock. However, I do think there is a wonderful look with two different breeds in a flock, such as Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps. Very Halloween-y. [​IMG]

The prettiest flock is one with mixed breeds, as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy! And Welcome to BYC!!!!!

6. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    Thanks!! You've all made me very happy![​IMG]

7. bullington

bullington Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Janet,

We went with pairs plus one. Pretty easy to tell them apart.

8. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG].............. I vote mix,mix and mix [​IMG]

9. bds613

bds613 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Texas
    Most definitely mix. If you're partial to 3 different breeds then you will keep adding to the flock until you have them all...then you discover 3 more breeds that you would love to have...that's just how it works [​IMG]! [​IMG]

10. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine i have a variety

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by