I'm serious... I want to make winter hats for my chickens

alaskachick

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
I have been reading about the possiblities of frost bite on a chickens comb. I have some large floppy combs to worry about this alaskan winter. Have you ever heard of any one making small polar fleece hats for chickens. If I did do this do you think they would keep them on? Can you think of any thing negative as to their health if they had a hat over their comb? I would probably use Velcro to hold them on. I already have a design in my head. What do you think other than I'm crazy!?

Well, I thought I'd heard it all...

Don't use loose yarns, somebody might choke when it starts to unravel. I'm thinking leather helmets might be classy, each rooster with their own family crest embossed on the front.
gig.gif

OK, really a DRY coop with lots of draft free ventilation is what you need. There are several good threads on cold weather coops.

I wouldn't know how it would affect chickens. I'm outdoors alot in winter and polar flecse(polartec) seems to build up alot of condensation. Maybe it wouldn't on poultry because they aren't that active. But there is a chance they would have more frostbite wearing it. Otherwise I think it would be adorable.

It would have to sport long braids down the sides with a bell at each end, and goggles. That would be perfect.

Our Rosie always coveted my hats. We think she actually wants one. She really likes the jewelry pinned to it. We have wondered for 2 years whether to actually do it! So now's your big chance! If you do it, you have to post photos for us to copy!

I'm pretty sure children's books from the 20's showed hens wearing aprons and babushkas/bandanas/head scarves. Maybe that was for real? Wouldn't a little padding behind the hen's head help her out with the rooster's grab-n-go?!

If you're really concerned about frozen combs the best thing to do is dub the birds.

Polar fleece could very well trap the moisture that is so important to avoid. What about a felted wool hat? Warm, natural, breathable. Needle felting is the easiest fiber art, in my opinion and you could really customize them to comb shapes.

It's a little messy, but vaseline works the best. You need to reapply and it gets stuff "stuck" to it, but it really works well. It insulates and stops the wind from penetrating. It's not fool proof, but it does help.
I know how you feel, I'm in Maine and it gets pretty darn cold at night.
Good Luck!
smile.png

lau.gif
I have been thinking of doing the same thing for mine. The last rooster we had , had such a beautiful comb and lost all his points over the cold winter. It was sad. 1/2 of my flock have rosecombs now but the other half have lovely large pointy ones and I would like them to stay that way. If you have any luck doing this post pics and I will do the same. I like the "felted" hat idea. Wool would be the better choice, and felting can be molded to the comb. A little strap under the "chin" and voila! A fashion statement!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom