I'm Shocked By Pine Shaving Cost!! Or Am I Just "Cheep"?

Jayers

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
NE Illinois
I need to boost up my bedding in the coop, but was shocked by the price for the pine shavings. (I have been using free leftover hardwood shavings, now that suppy has run out). I guess I've been spoiled!

What are you paying for your pine shavings and where are you getting it?

I was paying 8 bucks for 2 compressed cubic feet, but now that where I am staying is a bit more rural (300 miles from home), bring back 4 cubic feet compressed for 8 bucks each.

I get them at the local feed store, $6 for a compressed bale. That's not too bad if you are bedding animals in hutches or a few birds in a small coop. If you trying to fill stalls or a large coop with it, it's a bit pricey...

We pay between $4.99-$5.99 per bag and we usually get about 9-10 bagswhen we change over the coop.
Our local co-op, TSC and other farm store are all about the same once you factor in the gas prices to go get it. The more expensive stuff is closer to home, of course.

I feel much better about it when I think about the cost of comparable chicken compost / litter at Home Depot. I figure if I take the shavings / poo litter from my chickens and compost it I get all my money back from the cost of the shavings relative to the cost of a bag of chicken compost.

Well, that's what I tell myself anyway.
smile.png

4.80 a bale/bag some times on sale for 4.25 bought a pallet last time on sale i need three each for my large box stalls, one for the standing stall with the pony and i think i have four or five in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom