I'm so bummed =(

MommaHen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Missouri
I was so excited to order my very first hatching eggs by mail.....until Saturday. When I candled them at 7 days, only 3 out of the dozen were good. How disappointing!

I wasn't expecting them all to hatch by any means b/c I'm aware of the many things that can happen while eggs are in transit BUT I was expecting more than just 3. I'm so bummed. I'm hoping this is just a stroke of bad luck b/c now I'm kinda soured on purchasing anymore by mail.

What's been y'alls hatch rates for shipped eggs on average? Maybe if I hear some positive numbers, I won't be so discouraged to try again.

We have had unbelievable hatches and some where none were fertile.. just keep at it.. we are getting into good shipping weather on eggs right now, not to cold or too hot :O)
do not give up but beware!!!! the hatching bug will get you and you cannot stop! :
wink.png

One of our best was 11 chicks from 13 eggs and they were shipped in the dead of winter.
go figure.. HAHA

Denna

I'm so sorry for your disappointment MommaHen
hugs.gif

I've never shipped eggs, or had shipped eggs, but I just got done with my first hatch ever, and I got six chicks out of sixteen eggs-7 of the eggs were clear
hmm.png
Apparently my roo is not keeping up, lol!

I had the same type of experience with my first hatch....one of my eggs hatched 12 ordered eggs, nothing.
But, I have more in the bator...

I'm actually alittle afraid to say because I just ordered some eggs and I don't want to jinx myself. So I'll just say that my first was probably my worst so far, I ordered a dozen, 5 were clear, I hatched 3. That wasn't my worst hatch, just worst as far as how many were clear at day 7.

Hopefully saying this won't jinx me, but this year I have ordered eggs 3 times now (not counting the most recent), and got 7/8, 7/9, and 7/8 (in the bator now, but one of those has quit on me so 6 left).

Last edited:
I hear the average for shipped hatching eggs is 30-40% hate rate so if you do better, then that's great.

I know how careful to the detail I am handling and storing the eggs from my hens so it would give me nightmares thinking about how they are handled. This is the reason that I will not ship eggs.

Not to sound mean but good, now I don't feel so bad. Maybe I should've waited til warmer weather. Think I will also try to order from people a little closer to home next time.

Mommahen, you're not alone in this. I haven't had any luck with my eggs, but I am continuing to try. What the heck. I have two of my own in the bator right now, and they are on day 14 so just a few more days and i'll have a couple more babies then it's time to put more in. Keep on trying. Good luck.

If it makes you feel any better -

In the last 9 months I have had 4 batches of eggs ranging from 14 - 18 eggs in each shipment. Hatch rate = 0. This last batch from the weekend I had 12 chicks hatch from and original 24 eggs.

Some times it works and some times it doesn't. Don't give up on hatching.

Not all hens will go broody and raise you a nest of chicks. This can often be one of the few ways to get your own chicks.

Back
Top Bottom