I'm so disappointed that Ideal's website is down...

That's what I thought, too.

It must be un-planned as I find it hard to believe that a company that runs a business as big as Ideal is - and with a good reputation like they have, that they would have organized maintanance just as the season is really beginning to ramp up.

Not sure if Meyers Hatchery is taking orders yet but I'd ordered a Black Crested White Polish pullet last spring (I drove up there to pick our order up--newbies at this!)--"Phyllis" turned out to be a wonderful little chick for us...and you can order them sexed....just a possible back-up for you.
btw--every chick we ordered from them has made it this far in great shape, no casualties..well, except for the fox that absconded with the golden comet....and that's another story....

Quote:
I'm wanting to order the Polish bantam chicks...and as far as I can tell, only My Pet Chicken sells sexed bantams - and they sell for $10 apiece.

It would cost me $60 + shipping to get just 6 pullets from My Pet Chicken. *I think* I'd rather order 12 from Ideal for about $36 + shipping then give away the males via Craigs List...there is always someone looking to get something for nothing - at least that's my theory....but I'm not 100% convicted on this. It might be less of a hassle to pay the extra money to not have to deal with giving away the males...or trying to identify which ones are males!

eta: so sorry about the loss of your comet!

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're sick
sad.png
I tried to go on there to see what geese they have, because they have such a variety of fowl, and I couldn't! I was sad.

Thats a great horse!
ep.gif
I used to ride them some but don't know if I could own one....
hmm.png
I never got a hang of hoof trimming....

Quote:
Thanks, Grace...I appreciate it! My husband and I were just saying that I haven't had a cold in over two years! I guess I'm just due. Shopping ALWAYS makes one feel better - especially when done from my comfy couch!

Siggy is a really neat horse. I have enjoyed him more than I could have imagined in the begining (I've always had Morgan & Saddlebred show horses). He's with me for good, that's for sure!

I don't trim feet either (even on my goat), I have a blacksmith that comes out and takes care of it. Are you in a remote area without easy access to a blacksmith?

These horses (Fjords) were bred for winter! He gets so much coat I have to body clip him three times throughout or Florida winters! There are a ton more of them up in the west and northern parts of the country...you'd have an easy time finding one
big_smile.png

You're right Kelly,
I don't think that Meyer's has bantam Polish...the site just shows standard...although Phyllis is pretty small, at least compared to our RIR's and Buckeyes! Out of our small order from Meyer (13 chicks) we'd specified pullets for all, except for the partridge Silkie, where sexed chicks weren't available...and guess how many cockerals we ended up with? yep, one! He was a 'good' boy, I guess,,as far as cockerals go, but we did end up 're-homing' him to a woman who told me of her intention to make him a housepet...not sure how that worked out, but at least he was appreciated for his good temperament! I've learned I'd much rather pay a little extra for a promise of a pullet and not have to worry about finding a new home for an unwanted boy...that's just me, a bit odd I guess!
Sounds like My Pet Chicken may be the best way to go and that is a pretty big difference in cost for the convenience of getting exactly what you want...good luck with your decision!
PS: I also think the Fjords are pretty cool..always enjoy seeing them at Equine Affaire in Columbus, OH in the spring...I have Quarter Horses (3), reiners, and a Shetland, so I can relate to the shagginess, but not with the clipping--been pretty cool here this winter, till now, so they've needed the fuzz!
Dawn

Quote:
I'm wanting to order the Polish bantam chicks...and as far as I can tell, only My Pet Chicken sells sexed bantams - and they sell for $10 apiece.

It would cost me $60 + shipping to get just 6 pullets from My Pet Chicken. *I think* I'd rather order 12 from Ideal for about $36 + shipping then give away the males via Craigs List...there is always someone looking to get something for nothing - at least that's my theory....but I'm not 100% convicted on this. It might be less of a hassle to pay the extra money to not have to deal with giving away the males...or trying to identify which ones are males!

eta: so sorry about the loss of your comet!

Well, the website's back up, but it's still a disaster. The problem with it now is that if you order a different type of bird (say, order a bunch of ducks, and then go to order geese), the shopping cart doesn't save the prior type of bird.

How frustrating-- as large as Ideal is, you'd think they'd have a better web interface. Hope someone else has better luck than I did!

Back
Top Bottom