I'm So Excited! Received my first Russian Orloff Eggs today!

Hey Jen! I am so sorry. Things have been a little hectic on my farm. We just got two LGDs (GPs) and were told they were 3 and 5. Turns out one of them is only one (so still a babe) and needs training on being around chickens. She ate one of my favorites
somad.gif
rant.gif
hit.gif
So now my free range chickens are prisoners of their coop until I can train this dog.
somad.gif

As for my RO eggs, so far so good. Thanks so much. I can't wait till they hatch. There is only one that looks iffy, but the rest look great.
celebrate.gif
thumbsup.gif

Today is day 14th and I am getting even more excited.
celebrate.gif
We candled again I am am happy with what I'm seeing. We did lose my Candler though so a little disappointed I couldn't candle them properly.
sad.png
I'm thinking my baby got a hold of it and hid it (she does this with my keys a lot). We did candle them using my husbands flashlight. It looks as if 5 out of the 7 are doing great. The other 2 are a big maybe. I couldn't really tell if they were still developing, but it looks like the air sacs collapsed on one side. The temp in my Brinsea has stayed steady at 99.5 F and the humidity has been between 28 and 30 %. Because I only have these 7 eggs in there, I am seriously considering hatching them out in the Brinsea. I usually transfer them to my Genesis for hatching because I usually have such large numbers. I think 7 can hatch out in my Brinsea comfortably though.
wink.png

Quote:
YAY!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
I'm soo excited for you! sooo happy they are developing well so far! Can't wait to see the hatch! I would totally use the Brinsea, plenty of room in there for them. Only thing I've heard is it is tougher to keep humidity up in there, I've never hatched in mine (yet) but am hoping to for our first round of pea eggs due later this month. With all the extra room though you should have no problem putting a sponge in under the vent to easily up it if need be.

on the candler, not sure if you have a TSC nearby but I picked up a small (about the size of my hand) flashlight that has 9 LED lights in it for $2.99. It ROCKS! Works even better than my projector! I can see into BCM and Amer eggs pretty well and the RO eggs are a breeze, almost don't even need a dark room to see in em!.

Not sure why Jen, but I didn't get your last message until today when I came to post about lock-down. I usually get an email letting me know, but I didn't this time. Weird.
hu.gif

Well I tried to go into lock-down this morning and filled one whole tray with hot water, but the humidity immediately went up to high (87%). I'm guessing the water I used was too hot. So I opened the vent, but still no change. I had to open the bator up a little bit and put a knife in it to hold it slightly open to let some of the humidity out. Once I got it to 72% I closed it again and it went up to 80% and stayed there for about 20 minutes. I felt safe and went to do the rest of my animals, but when I got back the humidity was at 67%.
barnie.gif
I opened it and filled the second tray, plus added a wash cloth wet with warm water (read that this would help). This was about 10 minutes ago and it is only up to 73% and holding steady there. Eeeek! I just realized I had the vent open since last time. I closed it, now let's see if it goes up some.

Any advice for those of you with Brinsea?
caf.gif
Mine is the Oct 20 Eco.

I had that happen too but realized it was b/c my one email address box was full and it wasn't forwarding them to the one I check!
gig.gif
My stupid ISP gives me a ridiculously small box and I cannot check messages via my phone so I just forward all my messages to my yahoo account that is unlimited and can be accessed with my phone...unfortunately that only works if the first box isn't full! LOL Guess I should just use the yahoo account for everything but the other email is easier for people to remember b/c it's my name (the yahoo one is my maiden name b/c it's SOOOO old).

hoping some others with more Brinsea experience weigh in but I think the humidity at 67% or even 73% is good. If it were me I'd just leave it at that. I'd be interested in what others say on the Brinsea since I have one too and will be using that for my pea eggs. only on day 7 with those so I have some time to figure it out I guess. I had DH bring me home some saturation pads from work, which I guess hold the humidity once wet. They look very simliar to what they sell for the Brinsea, just need to figure out how to position so I can rewet if needed. Also, I'm going to pick myself up another hydrometer that is analog. I did just calibrate the digital one I have but I'm still not trusting it.

gosh, i'm on pins and needles here waiting to see what you get!
pop.gif
Did you end up with 5 in there to hatch? Keep us posted on progress!
smile.png

The ones I have hatched that are about 4-6 weeks now are just getting soooo cute!
love.gif
it's cute, I can see two look like one of my girls and 4 look more like the other, so I guess I can tell which lady is pulling her weight more!

can't wait for you to see the little fuzz butts yourself!
jumpy.gif

oh and this is off topic, but I just have to share b/c i'm so darn exicited!
celebrate.gif
yesterday we went down to a swap WAY down in Lucasville, OH (4 hour drive for us) we managed to find a 4year old pair of Bronze peafowl!
love.gif
love.gif
I am IN LOVE! even better, when I went down first thing this morning I saw that the girl had laid me an egg!
woot.gif
woot.gif
totally unexpected b/c the seller had said she just laid Friday night and they tend to lay every other day. WOW! just made me day!
thumbsup.gif

Ok, back to your incubation....you must post pics and updates often!! and GOOD LUCK!

Wow Jen. Congrats on your peafowl!!! How exciting!
ya.gif

Well I think 2 of my eggs will not hatch for sure, but I did put them all in. I'm still new to this and I'm scared to throw out good eggs thinking they're bad. So until I know what I'm seeing for sure, all my eggs go into the bator and I try and pay attention to see if they hatch or not. I'm still in the learning process.
wink.png
So far I have been VERY lucky and have not had any blow up on me.
fl.gif

Right now the temp has been steady at 99.5 F and my humidity has been between 78% and 80%. So far so good.
celebrate.gif
I can't wait to see what I get.
pop.gif

I am sooo upset right now!!!
barnie.gif
hit.gif

For some reason the temp outside dropped with out notice! I had no idea it was going to happen. We worked outside all day shearing sheep, cleaning out stalls in the barns, and (my favorite part) DH is making me brooders and breeding cages inside my huge chicken coop.
love.gif
And it was super hot the whole time we were out there!!! Never would I have imagined that the weather could drop in a split second like that.
barnie.gif
he.gif

Anyways, I had all the window in my bedroom opened because it was soooo hot. Then when I come out of the shower after a long days work I felt a little chilly, but didn't think anything of it figuring it was because I was still semi wet, clean, and my body was more relaxed after the shower. When I looked at my bator temp it is reading 86 F!!!
ep.gif
At first I thought something must be wrong with the thermometer and opened it up to place another one in without thinking.
barnie.gif
Now I just hope because yesterday was day one of lock-down I didn't do much damage. Now both thermometers were reading the same temp and humidity. So I immediately unscrewed the temp thingy in my Brinsea and tried to adjust the temp, but it only went up to 97 F and stayed at 97 F for a very long time. I slept as if I had a newborn baby. Getting up all night to check and nothing I did helped. Finally around 4:30am it settled at 99.5 F. Then although I really wanted to sleep I couldn't because I was worried that it would shoot up higher, but it hasn't thus far.

Now I am super worried about my batch and
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
that they will be OK. I've dreamed of including these birds in my flock as they are one of my favorites to look at. Those of you who pray, please pray/
fl.gif
with me.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I told dh I was not working outside today because I will be sitting on this bator like a mother hen. I even had the kids do the animals this morning (well I did our milk cow because she can get kinda testy with the kids). I told dh he will be lucky if I do laundry because I am staying in my room all day.
barnie.gif
hit.gif
I can't believe this happened to me....and with these eggs of all the eggs I have hatched!!!

Back
Top Bottom