I'm so excited!

ClaudineDeC

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
My name's Claudine. I've wanted chickens since reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books when I was seven. At 52, I'm finally doing it.
I ordered five Australorp babies and picked them up Tuesday morning. I was shaking with excitement at the post office. When I got home and opened the box, one of the chicks was dead, and one was clearly not healthy. She died two hours later. A third was dehydrated and hung on overnight and into the next evening. I gave her fluids all night, but I couldn't save her. Needless to say, some of the excitement wore off. But my two sweet little girls, Adelaide and Penelope, seem to be thriving.
I have a ton of questions, and am looking forward to "meeting" all of you. Thanks in advance for your support!

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills! :frow

So sorry about the three chicks you lost; is the hatchery going to reimburse you for them or send replacements?

I love Australorps; they are the chattiest chickens. Always sharing flock gossip with me. ;)

welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from Kansas, Claudine, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Sorry to hear about your lost chicks...if you got them from a hatchery they should replace them free of charge. Also, if you order more you might want to go to the postal hub (the post off that delivers to your post office) to collect your chicks. That would save them a day of travel. Australorps are awesome. Good luck to you!

:welcome and good luck with your poultry adventure! :frow I'm sorry you had such a rocky start, but I'm glad that your two remaining babies are doing good.

Back
Top Bottom