I'm so Proud of my girls! 113 degrees...

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
These 8 girls have been laying between 5-8 eggs a day in triple digit temperatures!! My neighbor's chickens have all but stopped laying, and then these girls just keep going.

It was 113 yesterday and close to that the day before. Their coop (though air conditioned) was 106 degrees when I came home..... and there they were, 7 eggs.

Here they are just a few minutes ago at well over 100 degrees (6:30pm.) They prefer dirt to grass, LOL

hotchickens.jpg

I am very proud of them. No one would even come close to understanding, so here is where I share.

Ellie

It hasn't been as hot down here but still got to 104 yesterday. I have 3 hens and all are laying an egg a day. 1 RIR and 2 houdan X's. One of the houdans we call Lacy went broody yesterday.
roll.png

eta: Nice birds

Last edited:
Thanks. I knew y'all would understand. I have 4 teens and they are at 19 weeks so they should start laying soon.

Yep, Cyn, they get their cold watermelon and grapes every single day when I get home from work... Got to keep them happy, LOL.

Ellie

Lovely ladies. Totally understand why you are so proud :)

Gives me hope that my girls will be OK with the heat hear in the high desert. This has been a pretty normal summer with some temps around 103, but mostly about 97, and they are doing ok so far (they are currently 8 weeks old). Last year we had a few days around 108.

Back
Top Bottom