My chickens are backwards and can't tell time!

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
I have 9 hens. 6 of those are standard breeds that "should" lay around 20 weeks (I know this is very individual per bird). Everyone here is around 21 weeks. My Buff Orpington was the first to lay (from what I understand they are slower to develop, so I was already shocked she went before the others). Her comb is not anywhere near as developed or red as 3 of my other girls. 2 of those girls have all the physical signs of being ready to lay. Their combs and wattles are red, much more developed than everyone else, have 3+ finger width between their pelvic bones (according to my first time chicken owner's checking ability, so maybe not that accurate). I've been impatiently waiting and then THIS girl drops and egg! She's been running through the nesting boxes all morning and kicking everything out, getting scared and then trying a different box. I was trying to keep the material in for her, but inbetween breaks, it's all on the floor. But then she did it! She is a cochin, so this is suuuuuper early for her! Like 2 months early. And she's not even hardly red, what the heck! I'm waiting for her to get out so I can take a picture of it, but she's been in the box singing for 20 minutes. She's very proud of herself and she's probably a bit surprised too!

Attachments

• 20230830_101048.jpg
    20230830_101048.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 40
We had our hot spell a few weeks ago, the past few have been a little cooler with some hotter days sprinkled in, but manageable.
Only asked because in high temps situations chickens combs/face can get pale. So, I thought maybe that’s why you weren’t seeing redder combs/wattles. My girls faces just returned to normal now that’s it’s been in the mid 90s instead of high triple digits.

Some pullets, if they don’t reach point of lay by fall, will wait till next spring. Depends on the length of day.

Only asked because in high temps situations chickens combs/face can get pale. So, I thought maybe that’s why you weren’t seeing redder combs/wattles. My girls faces just returned to normal now that’s it’s been in the mid 90s instead of high triple digits.
Everyone else is pretty red, but she is much bigger and fluffier than them so she is probably still hot even though it's not that bad...

Some pullets, if they don’t reach point of lay by fall, will wait till next spring. Depends on the length of day.
My Barred rock has been in and out of the boxes so I suspect she's next, but my welsummer and splash marans might be waiting because they look ready to go, but they have no interest in even looking at them

Back
Top Bottom