I'm so sad!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Niki Chickens, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Niki Chickens

Niki Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    I am so sad I had to get rid of 3 roosters I raised from chicks. They were all supposed to be pullets but ended up with 5 hens and 4 roosters. I kept one rooster BOB and got rid of the other 3. One was starting to get mean. One was very aggressive with the hens and one was just one to many roosters. They were running my hens to death and not letting them eat or anything with all of them trying to get at my hens and keep them away from the other roosters. My hens are much happier and able to stay outside longer. They free range all day but the rooster ran them around so much they would just mostly stay in their coop to stay away from them. But it is still hard to get rid of them. Anyone else have to go through this and have such a hard time with it? I know I made the right decision but it still bothers me. My hens came up and ate treats out of my hand, something they had never been able to do because of all the roosters being so aggressive and they mainly stayed in the coop.

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Yeah I know what you mean, its hard when they are pets/ you get attached to them. I try not to get attached to the boys since most go to the curry farm . Try to look at it from your hens point of view, with less boys they will be less stressed happier and healthier. Really you are doing this for your hens, which is best.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by