Hey, so, like the moron I am , I was doing some work in my coop last night, when what should happen, but my 2 month old barred Holland pullet runs up and grabs a screw from me. I tried to grab her but she wriggled free. I'm not sure if she swallowed it or dropped it when I grabbed her and it's buried in the foot deep pine shavings in the coop. I looked for hours, had a friend bring over a magnet (not strong enough I think), but all to no avail. Now I'm faced with the following possibilities: 1) She swallowed it and could get a perforated digestive tract any minute (of course it had to be a pointy tipped screw) or it doesn't perforate, but she gets heavy metal toxicity. 2) She dropped it into the shavings and it's buried somewhere, just waiting to be dug up and eaten by one of my other babies. 3) She dropped it and it has already been eaten by one of my other babies. To really feel at peace I'd need to take all 13 of them to the vet for xrays and exams. That's a ton of money that I do not have right now. Couldn't pay for it if I wanted to (which I do). And if they all came up metal free I'd do a clean sweep of the coop. Remove all the bedding from the coop/run and pick through it until I found the screw. Is it possible for 2 month olds to swallow an inch long screw? I feel like there'd have been some choking or squawking from pain or something. I palpated her crop and didn't feel anything, though her crop wasn't very full or anything, so I'm not sure if I felt the right place. Right front breast, correct? Please help me. I am just sick with worry. I thought about emptying out the coop, taking all the shavings and burning them and then sifting through the ash to try to find the screw. Is this crazy? I'm frantic.