I'm the latest contestant on the Pullet vs Cockerel game. "Fifi" is a French Black Copper Maran, wha

Is Fifi a Fofo? Boy or Girl?

• Cockerel

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Pullet

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • wait and see

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pasadenachicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 25, 2012
So "Fifi" or "Fofo" as my husband calls her/him, has been looking a bit rooster-y lately. Here's the thing, Fifi has a red comb and wattles, but so do all FBCM, or so it seems. My other two do not have such red combs and wattles yet but at 12 weeks or so, Fifi hasn't developed any of the other traits. She still has the white feathers under her wings, I've heard the males don't always have this and the other two look the same. Also, her feet are about the same size as the other two and she's smaller than the girls or about the same size. Her coloring is almost the same as the other two, just a hint of copper on the neck, nowhere else. No crowing and generally, I'm confused.

Here's some photos. Any one care to hazard a guess?

Fifi, yesterday at about 12 weeks

This is Fifi about 2 weeks ago

You can see the other two Marans in the background.

Fifi's back

Here's Fifi in the foreground with the other two, the copper color kinda shows on their necks here.

I'm baffled.

I've suspected all along but what gets me is the comb is not getting bigger. I have also noticed that the roosters seem to have a comb that extends both forward and backward, the hens don't seem to. Fifi's comb looks like the hens combs and hasn't gotten larger.

Anyone know what the deal with the red comb on the FBCM and if the big red comb seems to be common on both male and female. Fifi developed it early but it hasn't changed, I've heard of hens taking on male traits but am I having a case of wishful thinking here?

Hens do grow a large comb, but a hen's comb will be about that size at maturity. This bird, at 12 weeks, is far from mature. This much redness and size of comb screams roo at this age. Now, if the bird was 18 weeks, and the comb looked just like that, I'd be thinking hen. That's why we always ask age. But this bird will get hackle and saddle feathers, the comb will continue to grow larger and he will start crowing.

Rats. Fifi is my buddy. Jumped into my hand right out of the brooder box, comes when I call and eats bugs on command. We forage in the garden together for insects. But we can't have a rooster. Neighbors are way too close to the run.

I had suspicious thoughts about the Fifster, but I guess I was holding out hope. I wonder if I should wait until the crowing starts, i've heard lots of stories about people rehoming roosters that turned out to be pullets. Especially the Marans because of the crazy combs. It's been the same size for a while now.

Aren't the roosters larger also? I may have a gender confused rooster here. If only he wouldn't crow, that's the thing that the husband says has to go.

Poor Fofo. I'm going to be sad to have to get rid of him. :(

I agree, Roo, stance screams I am a boy along with comb, wattles, and hackles coming in at such a young age. Kind of hard to see saddle feathers in these pics seem to be in the shadows but they do look longer and pointer than a pullets.

I agree, Roo, stance screams I am a boy along with comb, wattles, and hackles coming in at such a young age. Kind of hard to see saddle feathers in these pics seem to be in the shadows but they do look longer and pointer than a pullets.
I can try to take better photos. What area is best to photograph to get an idea? In sun so you can see the colors? It's coppery at the neck but green and purple in the black area when sun hits them. I'm so new to this, not sure what's the most important on FBCM. Is there any dead give aways? feathers? (well, besides the huge red comb?)

Thanks!

and yes, blueberry, at least there are two girls :)

The feathers can tell part of the story at this age. Copper at this early age is a tell tale sign of roo. Lots on the neck and especially down the back seals the deal..... as well as the tail feathers. The pullets have shorter, more uniform tail feathers- compared to his beautiful flowing green tail
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom