I'm tossing in everything but the kitchen sink ...

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @Kiki - I hope it's okay that I update you on the situation via this thread post - you have all been so helpful - thank you.

In four days, the situation has not really changed. I have all chickens on Corid drench, and Safguard (individual doses) - they all look amazing and are doing fine from their molt. As for my one hen with the described issues, I did the stated + started Monistat for possible Sour Crop. I "force" feed her water/Corid drench, as well as bits of chicken or tuna, mushy feed and/or treats - anything to get something in her. She barely takes anything on her own. Her poop is still white with green bits and there is very little of it. As @wyorp suggested I have put her back in the coop to be with her mates except when I take her out to feed/medicate her. I don't have a good feeling about this. So now I'm asking - how long do I do this for - I should have seen some improvement by now, right? If it comes to this, I'm going to have to ask my husband to take care of putting her down - I just personally cannot, even though I know it may be the right thing to do. As she sits on my lap while I type this, I know that these things - and the responsibilities - are all part of chicken keeping but this is my first hen that I've had fall ill and I was really hoping I'd be able to help her get through this ... 😢

Part of being a good pet owner is realizing if they're suffering and what you can do for it. If she hasn't laid in months, something's going on.

You either need a vet visit to find the problem, or you need to cull her. I agree with Kiki - how long can you watch her suffer?

I'm sorry you're going through this but I don't think you're understanding that you are probably not going to be able to cure your chicken without antibiotics... And then it is probably too late to even start the antibiotics.

It's up to you. How long do you want to continue to watch her suffer?
Just curious if there’s a certain antibiotic I should be looking for?

Just curious if there’s a certain antibiotic I should be looking for?
Did you check the crop? Early morning is when to feel is it is empty. A lot of things are being recommended on this thread and you are starting some on your own. Corid, wormer, crop treatments,etc. A vet can help you determine if she has worms or coccidiosis, and if you can tell us if her crop empties by morning or not. If she has a reproductive disorder, an antibiotic may or may not help. For reproductive infections, most of us can get amoxicllin or Aqua Mox online. Dosage is 125-250 mg given orally twice a day for 10 days. But if her crop is not emptying overnight or she has sour crop, antibiotics may make that worse. Here is one place to get amoxicillin:
https://www.allivet.com/p-11632-aqu...MI9b2qseDr8wIVP21vBB2joANtEAQYAiABEgJd5vD_BwE

My Australorp, Magnolia, went through the exact same symptoms. It started with the stoppage of laying and progressed from there. She had sour crop and the body posture of a chicken with Coccidiosis. Her poop got weird - dark green and watery.

She died alone and miserable in a crate in my bathroom while I was working. I sent her for a necropsy, and it turned out she had salpingitis that was likely plaguing her for months. I wish I'd put her down....

I am not suggesting that you do anything of the sort, but I feel as though my girl's experience is relevant and hopefully gives you another opinion coming from a place of empathy.

I am so incredibly sorry you are dealing with this because it's heartwrenching. Good luck, my friend.
:hugs

Did you check the crop? Early morning is when to feel is it is empty. A lot of things are being recommended on this thread and you are starting some on your own. Corid, wormer, crop treatments,etc. A vet can help you determine if she has worms or coccidiosis, and if you can tell us if her crop empties by morning or not. If she has a reproductive disorder, an antibiotic may or may not help. For reproductive infections, most of us can get amoxicllin or Aqua Mox online. Dosage is 125-250 mg given orally twice a day for 10 days. But if her crop is not emptying overnight or she has sour crop, antibiotics may make that worse. Here is one place to get amoxicillin:
https://www.allivet.com/p-11632-aqu...MI9b2qseDr8wIVP21vBB2joANtEAQYAiABEgJd5vD_BwE
Her crop is not at all full in the a.m. From what I can tell, she’s not eating at all unless I feed it to her - either by putting it in her mouth or by her taking very minimal amounts from my hand. This is what I’ve been doing for four days. I called a vet on Tuesday a.m. but have not heard back yet and the vets where I live are really not farm (horse, maybe) or avian so it’s going to be a crap shoot. Per recommendation of a vet tech/also a chicken keeper, I gave her a .25 ml dose of Tylan 50 inject. Her poop is more solid today but still white and green.

I gave her a .25 ml dose of Tylan 50 inject. Her poop is more solid today but still white and green.
How much does she weigh?

Tylan has a wide dosing range of 10-40mg/kg given orally 3 times a day for 5 days. Generally I recommend a "mid(ish) range" of 25mg/kg (.22ml per pound of weight round up to .25 for ease of measuring) for treating symptoms of respiratory illness like MG. For example that would be 1.25ml given orally 3 times a day for 5 days for a 5 pound hen. If you are going to give Tylan50 then give her the correct dose.

If you suspect reproductive infection then increasing that dose a little higher may be more effective since you have wiggle room on your dosing.

How much does she weigh?

Tylan has a wide dosing range of 10-40mg/kg given orally 3 times a day for 5 days. Generally I recommend a "mid(ish) range" of 25mg/kg (.22ml per pound of weight round up to .25 for ease of measuring) for treating symptoms of respiratory illness like MG. For example that would be 1.25ml given orally 3 times a day for 5 days for a 5 pound hen. If you are going to give Tylan50 then give her the correct dose.

If you suspect reproductive infection then increasing that dose a little higher may be more effective since you have wiggle room on your dosing.
She's roughly 3 lbs. I gave her one .25 ml does last night via injection. I will give her two more today of same dose. Her tail is a little more "up" today and her poop - although still white - is firmer. It's still a bit of a struggle to get her to eat but I'm trying and I have nothing to loose. If something happens with another flock member, I have the meds and wherewithal to notice earlier and try to take care of things earlier.

She's roughly 3 lbs. I gave her one .25 ml does last night via injection. I will give her two more today of same dose. Her tail is a little more "up" today and her poop - although still white - is firmer. It's still a bit of a struggle to get her to eat but I'm trying and I have nothing to loose. If something happens with another flock member, I have the meds and wherewithal to notice earlier and try to take care of things earlier.

3 ÷ 2.2 x 25 ÷ 50 = .6818ml this is her dose at 25mg/kg - I would round up to .70ml for ease of measuring.

Tylan50 injectable can be given orally - you surely don't want to stick her 3 times a day for 5 days - that's 15 needle sticks! Tylan is known for injection site necrosis and you don't want to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom