I'm wondering if this could this be a roo.....

totribet

Songster
9 Years
Jul 24, 2011
Moriarty, NM
and it may still be too early to tell. Supposed to be a hen, but the feet are HUGE and the comb sure looks like it is getting way bright....but I'm so new I wouldn't have a clue unless it crowed, LOL.

101190_bigfoot_3.jpg

101190_bigfoot_7.jpg

ep.gif

I don't know the breed for sure? They are 4 weeks old today. They told me they were orphington hens when I got them. But they are the same age and that one is just really big to me. Since I'm still learning it is hard for me to tell, but I figured someone on here would have a good idea.

Quote:
Yeah, 99% certain that's a roo. I don't have buff orps. but they sure look like Cornish Xs to me. CXs are meat birds and not meant to live long.
sad.png

Hmmmm......I wonder. I guess someone will be able to tell the breed for sure in a few more weeks? Not me, but some of you smarter folks, ROFL!
lau.gif

I got 2 Buff Orps this spring (picked out pullets, lucky me), and their combs are as big as that at 12-13 weeks. That bird looks like a Cornish cross to me, HUGE legs and that comb is so much bigger than the others in the first pic.

Quote:
Not smarter, just more informed on the subject.
wink.png
I'm dumber than alot of folks, but have learned about chickens.

Post your pics in the what breed/gender category, but I'm pretty sure they are cornish Xs. It is very difficult to raise CXs to adulthood. I've done it, but it's hard to keep them alive.

Back
Top Bottom